1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

5% left after a day of no use?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by masterz13, Dec 26, 2011.

1. masterz13

masterz13 Newbie

I just got my Galaxy S2. I rooted it and left the stock 2.3.4 after I heard complaints about battery life of the new 2.3.6. However, my battery has been pretty terrible. I set the alarm for Christmas day when it had 100%.

It went off that morning, and I checked Facebook on it and then closed everything. By that night, it had dropped to 5% somehow.

Not sure if I uninstalled something I shouldn't have with Titanium Backup (just bloatware and a couple widgets). Help please.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. (G)

(G) Android Expert

A TON of it depends on how hard the phone has to fight to get a cell signal or a wi-fi signal. I couldn't get a Verizon signal in my house, so my old Droid would lose major battery power because it kept searching, searching, searching...

Last night I left my S2 on all night next to my bed. Unfortunately there's hardly any wi-fi signal in the bedroom, so I turned off wi-fi. When I got up this morning it was only down 3%.

GPS also burns up some battery if you're in an app that uses it, but you're indoors where the phone can't find the satellites.

3. masterz13

masterz13 Newbie

I did have wi-fi and the cell network on, so I'm hoping that did it. I always have five bars in my house though. I'll try it tonight on airplane mode. When I look up the battery, it says 66% is coming from Android OS.

4. mratlndmrk

mratlndmrk Well-Known Member

General consensus seems to be that 2.3.6 drains battery if you have a weak or no wi-fi signal and you leave wi-fi turned on. Since I started turning wi-fi off when not in a strong wi-fi area, my battery usage has dropped significantly (at 91% after 7 hours off cord). Similarly, you need to turn GPS off when you are inside and no satellites are in view. This all did seem to change with 2.3.6 and hopefully it will be addressed.

5. masterz13

masterz13 Newbie

I'm running 2.3.4 though. No plans to upgrade to 2.3.6. Wi-fi is the culprit though. I've left it off unless I need it, and I'm getting great battery life. I wonder if there's a driver fix or something.

6. leo9891

leo9891 Member

IDK, i've been able to use my SGS2 like I would any other phone, and have enough battery for the day. Now there was one time when I first got the phone, I was on it for like 6 hours straight! All on the internet and Android Market via WiFi. It did drain the battery to about 10% remaining, but that was pretty good for being used for 6 hrs straight. I've experienced worse with my iPhone 3GS, 4 hrs continuous use and battery drops to 10% or less. So this has pretty good exceptional battery life to me.

7. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Android Enthusiast

What software are you using. I leave my WiFi on all day and it does little to harm the battery. I unplug from the charger at 3:30am and at 9pm still have 40-50%. What software do you have running in the background to might be polling the server often.

Got to be a reason or it is a bad battery.

8. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

One or the other or both can drain resources depending on conditions and signal strength, as mentioned above. Wifi scanning and tower searching/polling both consume a lot of battery, and even cause lag in some devices, depending on auto sync configuration of social networking apps/widgets and weather updating, etc.

That's why we see so many varying reports of how long a battery lasts; some users have all that stuff going on, some less and some none (heck, I never allow auto syncing or updating of anything, preferring to do all that on demand).

9. masterz13

masterz13 Newbie

Auto-syncing is off, the display is on low brightness, wi-fi is now off, I don't allow background data, etc. It has to be a software issue because once wi-fi is off, the battery life is fine. My wireless G router is about 8 feet from me in my bedroom, no walls in the way or anything. It has to be that wi-fi. I remember owning a Captivate and having to install some wi-fi fix app in order to help it because it would constantly disconnect.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews