• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5 "obscure" apps you use

What a great app, thanks OTD - and thanks to the OP for the thread.
I listen to old time radio all the time via the 'Listen' app. And I've done several searches in the market for other podcasters that would have a better/different selection than Listen does for the old stuff. It never even occurred to me to search for an app with 'old time radio' as the actual name (too simple I guess).
when I search OldTimeRadio, I get nothing. with spaces I get LBS radio. Is this the same one with a new name? It's only had a few hundred downloads.

Upvote 0
Multipicture: use different wallpapers on every homescreen.
MultiPicture Live Wallpaper - Android app on AppBrain

Copy to Clipboard: adds a copy to clipboard option to the share menu
Copy to Clipboard - Android app on AppBrain

iTag: edit MP3 tags and album art on the phone
iTag - Android app on AppBrain

Turtle Photoframe: add widgets that show a static image or slideshow from any folder. set to change by time, or on click.
Turtle Photoframe - Android app on AppBrain

Wi-Fi status bar switch: add a wifi toggle to the status bar.
Wi-Fi Status Bar Switch - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
HP iPrint Photo: Prints pictures to my HP printer wirelessly
HP iPrint Photo - Android app on AppBrain

Sleep Up: Helps you fall asleep with binaural beats (I still can't believe that it works...but, it does)
Sleep Up! (5X Deep Sleep) - Android app on AppBrain

Also, I know Vlingo isn't obscure...but the app is so damn lovely, I can't help mentioning it. The In Car piece is well done. The voice recognition is remarkable and no matter how many times I do it, I trip out everytime I say "Navigate to ______" and it's starts Google Navigation to pull up whatever I asked for without me having to say the city I'm in. My kinda app......
Vlingo: Words to Action - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
HP iPrint Photo: Prints pictures to my HP printer wirelessly
HP iPrint Photo - Android app on AppBrain

Sleep Up: Helps you fall asleep with binaural beats (I still can't believe that it works...but, it does)
Sleep Up! (5X Deep Sleep) - Android app on AppBrain

Also, I know Vlingo isn't obscure...but the app is so damn lovely, I can't help mentioning it. The In Car piece is well done. The voice recognition is remarkable and no matter how many times I do it, I trip out everytime I say "Navigate to ______" and it's starts Google Navigation to pull up whatever I asked for without me having to say the city I'm in. My kinda app......
Vlingo: Words to Action - Android app on AppBrain

I agree with vlingo. I use the app

Upvote 0
1. Carr Matey - find your car, no matter how massive the parking lot

2. Voice Choice - Save phone numbers to always call w/out Google Voice plus more (reverse behavior)

3. Key Ring - Add all your loyalty/reward cards, 650+ programs

4. Smart Taskbar - Launch any application instantly, from any screen, even in-app

5. Task Switcher - shows whenever you click your Home button, 2nd click returns you to your home screen. This allows you to quickly switch between active apps, especially if you're cutting & pasting from one to another. (Kind of like an Alt-Tab function).

Upvote 0
most are pretty mainstream :/ i struggled to find 5 and some of these aren't even that obscure lol.

Cherry Rplayer - best shoutcast player i've found..also plays icecast among other things.
Free411 - yellow pages also has a free 411 to call
Quick Settings - quick toggle for settings that hides in the notification bar
Multicon - can fit more shortcuts on screen
Quick App Clean Cache - pull up apps in order of largest cache

Upvote 0
QuickAddroid--Lets you set up templates for your calendar to quickly add new events based on the template. For example, I work 3 12 hour shifts every week with varying days. Using this I can just put the dates that I work & not have to fill in the entire thing for each shift. Very customizable templates
This looks intriguing, but does it come in English? It looks like the program is in German.

Upvote 0
AndFTP - an FTP server client.
androidVNC - Connect to your PCs desktop and control it remotely through your phone.
ConnectBot - Connect to a server terminal through telnet or SSH.
Dropbox - Sync files across several PCs and to a remote storage system. This allows you to access the share from your phone.
SwiFTP - Turns your phone into an FTP server. Useful if you want to transfer files over Wifi.
Torrent-fu - Remotely control your computer's Bittorrent client.

I like having my systems working together.

Upvote 0
I don't have 5 obscure apps that I use, but here are a few.

1. SoundBest Player - Does a quick "hearing screening" and adjusts the equalizer based on your hearing loss. I have a mild to moderate hearing loss and it works great for me.
2. Libra - tracks your weight
3. CalWidget - allows me to put google calendar as a widget on my homescreen

Upvote 0
- iMusic (google it if you want it...I won't post the link here)

***I AM NOT CONDONING ILLEGALLY DOWNLOADING MUSIC***

This app will let you search for music by artist, album, song, etc. and then stream it live. You HAVE THE ABILITY to download songs to your phone but the developer puts up notice on first boot that all music needs to be deleted off of your SD Card after you listen to it...which is a bogus way for them to cover their asses...but I don't download anything with this app...

The reason I post it, is because when I'm in the car with my kids and they want to listen to a "particular" song...I can search for it and then play it though my car's speakers via 3.5mm aux jack. It really helps to keep kids singing in the car vs. fighting with each other! You fellow parents know what I'm talking about ;)

I always get a kick out of people coming up with bs excuses for using a mp3 downloading app like they dont' download the mp3s.

Reactions: messenger13
Upvote 0
Wifi Analyzer - gives you information on your wireless network, and other wireless networks in range. Useful stuff such as which channels is best for you, etc.

WiFi Keyboard - this app never ceases to amaze me! Somehow syncs your computer's physical keyboard to your Android device wirelessly. Useful if you need to type something long on your Android device, or if you're tethering on the train or something and want to reply to a text or something like that.

gTasks - Android should sort this out really, but meanwhile gTasks allows you to keep a track of your 'tasks' section in your Google Calendar. Handy widget which can be put it in post-it form, and which syncs automatically on full purchase.

RadioTime - great radio app.

Upvote 0
EventGhost for Android

Its Obscure...its Powerful....Its uncommon.

Thats one app that can give immense functional control of your PC from your phone. Create simple shortcuts on your Homescreen to directly send virtually any command to your PC over 3G/Wi-Fi.

Instead of having a shortcut on my phone that opens my Phone's Music App.....I have a shortcut on my phone that opens iTunes on my Computer...or Play/Pauses a track....or maximizes Firefox...or runs a python script....etc....the list is infinite. Who needs individual remote control apps when I can control everything on my PC from my Homescreen....I don't even need to open an actual app to do it....convenient.

Reactions: melissai_
Upvote 0
1. SMS wishes - set SMS to automatically send at a later time
2. Widget locker - put Widgets on your lockscreen
3. Smart shortcuts - organize apps into folders, but much nicer than stock folders
4. CalWidget - nice agenda widget in multiple sizes
5. Redboxer - find and reserve Redbox movies from your phone

There are so many other great ones, I just thought these were more obscure

Redboxer ?!?! You have just increased my quality of life ten fold.

Upvote 0
1. doubletiwst - organizes music, podcasts, and radio preferences in one app
2. phoenix - ....um check it out :)
3. ringdroid - make and cut your own ringtones...not sure how obscure, but i think it's pretty awesomely unique and powerful :)
4. Police Scanner Radio - self explanitory...
5. Spoof - call people and change your voice, as well as your caller ID on their phone :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones