1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General 5 Things I Do Not like/Understand

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by myvinyl333, Feb 18, 2011.

1. myvinyl333

myvinyl333 Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Social Worker
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I am in week two as a Mesmorize ex BB user. I got little help from USC. Most from trail and error (forum as well)

In order:

1) Very hard to use phone with it locking (set on pattern) miss calls...where is "You have message?"

2) No specific notification of separate emails and or texts/msm ???

3) Composing a message email/text. Fingers too big (do not get swiping)

4) Low battery mid day

5) Volume is too low (set on high)

Hope next post is the Top Five I like over BB.

Regards,
    jorge:cool:

Advertisement

2. NuttyComputer

NuttyComputer Lurker
    None

Feb 8, 2011
    Put 2 down for me, NO AUTOFOCUS ON CAMCORDER and Would have liked a MANUAL FOCUS on Photo capture !!

3. pietjuhhh1990

pietjuhhh1990 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    App/web development
    Netherlands
    1) Very hard to use phone with it locking (set on pattern) miss calls...where is "You have message?"

You can discard the pattern in settings>Location and security>Screenlock and select none

and if you have a message you can slide the top down or when you disable the pattern you get a jigsaw slice 2 slide into place

2) No specific notification of separate emails and or texts/msm ???
    Again just disable the pattern sequrity

3) Composing a message email/text. Fingers too big (do not get swiping)
    You can also normaly use the touch keybord, and there's a swype tutorial on you're phone ;)

4) Low battery mid day
    Use advance task killer
    dimm display
    Don't have the screen on when you don't need it

This is a common problem with all smartphones having 4inch display does'nt help here

Volume output or speakers because if its output, ive got the Monster Cable Beats Studio if i have volume full open ill blow my brains out xD

Hope it's more clear for you :)

4. seepage

seepage Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    There is a separate mesmerize forum.

5. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Project Manager
    Virginia
    In order:

1) Very hard to use phone with it locking (set on pattern) miss calls...where is "You have message?" Its in the status bar, if you have notifications turned on.

2) No specific notification of separate emails and or texts/msm ??? See #1.

3) Composing a message email/text. Fingers too big (do not get swiping) Change your input preference from Swipe to android keyboard. Better yet, download swiftkey. Its a much better keyboard if you prefer that method over swype.

4) Low battery mid day. ATK programs don't help this issue. Make sure that you have all of your programs configured to background check for data as few times as necessary. better yet, keep background sync off unless you really need it. Keep services off unless you're using them (WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, etc).

Downloading custom apps will solve a lot of these issues for you. Handcent SMS and K9 mail will allow you to have more control over your email and SMS notifications. Handcent will pop up a message onto your lock screen, with a quick reply window, if you prefer.

In general, USCC customer support isn't going to be much help, at least not the level 1 people (unless you get lucky and talk to one that owns this phone and has spent as much time tweaking it as some of us have). You are better off reading these forums and others like it. We actually use the phones daily.

6. fakename

fakename Lurker
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    I think what he means wrt #2 is if you have more than one email in your inbox, you only see a notification that you have (x) amount of new emails.
    I usually leave email unopened until I know that I can get around to reading and replying all at once so I typically have a few unopened messages in my inbox. If I get a new email, there is no way to see who it is from/what it is about without actually opening up my inbox and looking. The notification is pretty useless.

7. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Project Manager
    Virginia
    Thats the beauty of the customization. Some people (like me) only need to see that they've had a new message come in. Others want to be much more granular than that.

If you want to actually see a preview, then a quick glance at the pull down bar will tell you who the message is from if you're using K9 or an SMS app like Handcent.

If you want a screen pop up with a quick preview, that feature is available, too.

Its all in what you want the phone to do for you.

I was very frustrated with Android when I first transitioned to it. "Its not like my old phone!" was the thought process I had. Now that I've had it for a few months, I realize that I was right, its not like my old phone. I was stuck with whatever that phone did, and I couldn't change it very much if I didn't like it. Android is the complete opposite. It comes out of the box able to do some cool stuff, but if you want it to do more, all you have to do is decide how you want it to do more, and chances are there is a solution for it in the market.