• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 50% signal and network location issue with BB .2.1

I've had it on all of the 2.2 roms I have used... From my understanding this is a code issue with Google... The only fix I have ever seen was on Cyanogen 5.0.7.1, one of the users actually got it fixed and Cyanogen put into the latest release... Not sure what it all entails, however from what I understand it is a display bug and should on effect the battery in very very rare circumstances...

Upvote 0
Switching to ariplane mode and then back seems to fix this, but you have to do it every time you reboot.

Before I noticed it I never noticed missing calls, txt, data or anything like that, so I don't know how "accurate" the time without signal acutally is.

From my understanding it isn't accurate at all... It is a display bug, so you aren't actually "searching for a signal" it just displays that... This was a problem with most every single 2.1 ROM as well...

The problem some were having is when it wasn't actually a display bug and it actually was searching for a signal all the time. However this was easily noticed by the fact that the battery would be crapy...

Upvote 0
How do you know you are not connected to the network? I do not think I have had this problem...is it losing 3G? or both 3G and 1x?

From my understanding (and I could be wrong, it has happened one or 2 times in my 36 years :p ) the time without signal measures how much time your phone spends searching for service, so you would see a drop in bars down to 0 and no 3G or 1G... This actually happens to me at work because my building eats cell phone signals for lunch, however it should never be 50% if it is that high then you more then likely have a radio problem...

As far as the location thing, I'm not sure I haven't ever seen that one...

Upvote 0
I've had it on all of the 2.2 roms I have used... From my understanding this is a code issue with Google...

This is correct. The reason cyanogenmod was the only 2.1 rom this showed up on is because he is the only one that syncs with AOSP. I am assuming that whatever caused this was introduced into AOSP after ESE81 was created.

Hopefully google will Kang the fix from CM and it wont be an issue going forward.

I dont think there is a way to get rid of it without source code.

Back when it was an issue with CM it was merely cosmetic for 95% of users and the other 5% experienced pretty amazing battery drain. I guess just hope that you arent one of the 5%

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones