• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

50% without service

What is this? I have made a good faith attempt to search for an explanation and I can't find one. A link or an explanation would be great.

TIA

There are a few things in 2.1 that seem arbitrary, or at least very inaccurate as to their display numbers. One of them is the "50% bug," which seems to have no effect on signal or battery life.

Some have reported better battery life with the "bug" untouched, others post that once they implemented the "airplane mode fix" all was well (even though they had to do that with each reboot of the device).

The theory is that the polling apparatus will be more busy attempting to find a strong signal when it senses nothing for long periods of time (such as half the time: 50%). This makes sense, but we're left with a question as to the accuracy of the "50%" figure when we see our devices basically using no more battery power (according to the battery meter) with the bug than without the bug (following the fix).

I've seen zero difference in battery life or signal strength whether it says "50%" or "17%," so I don't bother with the airplane mode fix.

Upvote 0
I got much better better life after the fix. Verizon actually replaced my phone for that bug, along with a few others.

Really? I was considering getting another replacement due to this bug,

but wasn't sure what they would say or if it were worth it.. Currently I just

reverted back down to 1.5 and I'm much happier with 1.5 than 2.1. With

your new phone that they replaced, you have the Eris running OTA 2.1

and without the 50% time without signal? I thought this was on

everyone's phone with 2.1..

Upvote 0
FWIW I just noticed today that I have the 50% issue. I had heard about it for so long that now that I am on 2.1 OTA, I figured I would check. Sure enough, "Time without signal" was at 50%. Conventional wisdom would tell me that the odds of having this exact figure for extended periods of varying signal and use is unlikely. I have been running the OTA for almost a week, and the battery was at least on par with 1.5. Therefore, I am going to chalk this up to being more of a "visual" glitch.

Upvote 0
I got much better better life after the fix. Verizon actually replaced my phone for that bug, along with a few others.

I have to believe that the "few others" were the reason for battery drain. No person has reported a battery life difference with or without the 50% showing. Moderators, long-time forum members, and newer ones report the same thing.

Upvote 0
Really? I was considering getting another replacement due to this bug,

but wasn't sure what they would say or if it were worth it.. Currently I just

reverted back down to 1.5 and I'm much happier with 1.5 than 2.1. With

your new phone that they replaced, you have the Eris running OTA 2.1

and without the 50% time without signal? I thought this was on

everyone's phone with 2.1..

I'm rooted now with ZenExp Rom. So i am on 2.1 without the bug.

Also, my other problems didn't have anything to do with Battery. In my experience, my battery was better after the airplane fix. All I'm saying :D

Upvote 0
I've also tried reading through the threads to understand what this issue is but I haven't found a clear explanation of what it is and how to know if I have it. I've tried looking through my settings to find where to see % without service but see it nowhere.

Can anyone please help on understanding this / finding it? Thank you.

Upvote 0
I've also tried reading through the threads to understand what this issue is but I haven't found a clear explanation of what it is and how to know if I have it. I've tried looking through my settings to find where to see % without service but see it nowhere.

Can anyone please help on understanding this / finding it? Thank you.

Other than curiosity about the reported bug, are you experiencing it on your Eris?

I ask because it seems to be a (false) display issue in most cases.. meaning false data ("50%") along with false reception and battery meter displays.

Upvote 0
I usually do the "airplane mode trick" after a restart. I decided not to do it one time, and I thought the battery life seemed shorter. I was left with 10% instead of the usual 40% at the end of the evening. But then I decided to leave it alone and not charge it until it died. Sure enough, it lasted ten more hours on "15%" battery. Granted, I was sleeping for eight of those hours, but the phone was still updating my facebook, checking my email, etc.

So here's my new theory: The 50% bug doesn't affect your battery life, but it affects your battery meter's estimate of your battery life!

I've done my experiment again a couple times since then, always with the same results, although it's difficult sometimes because usage also varies day to day.

Upvote 0
FWIW I just noticed today that I have the 50% issue. I had heard about it for so long that now that I am on 2.1 OTA, I figured I would check. Sure enough, "Time without signal" was at 50%. Conventional wisdom would tell me that the odds of having this exact figure for extended periods of varying signal and use is unlikely. I have been running the OTA for almost a week, and the battery was at least on par with 1.5. Therefore, I am going to chalk this up to being more of a "visual" glitch.

I'm willing to bet this is EXACTLY what is happening. I've had my phone on 2.1 OTA without a reboot for over a day now and it says EXACTLY 50% without signal. There is NO WAY this is possible with actual signal variation out there in the real world. This has to be a visual bug. Something is being miscalculated, or just not calculated at all, especially considering everyone else shows this exact number as well. I'm gonna close the menu, and never look at it or worry about it again. I've not noticed a single change in battery life or signal performance (including number of bars) since going 2.1

Upvote 0
I doubt this cosmetic issue is a deal breaker and probably isn't wreaking havoc on your phone...

FWIW, I rebooted my phone last night and looked at the Time Without Signal as the phone came on. I was surprised to see that my reading went from 3% to 0% in a few minutes... WITHOUT doing the Airplane mode fix. This is the first time this has happened for me and hasn't come back today. I wonder if it's random to get the 50% reading on a reboot?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones