1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

512 g. Micro sd keep or return?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ScttLee184, Sep 11, 2020.

1. ScttLee184

ScttLee184 Newbie

I just got a 512 evo samsung micro sd card in the mail. I got ready to format it and the phone said it was corrupted. It would only format to 20% then freeze. After a bit the phone would restart, but freeze on restart. I had to reboot. I formatted it with a PC in 2 seconds and it works with the phone now. Should I keep it or mail it back?
    Using a samsung a50.

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Check if your particular phone actually supports SDXC type micro-SD cards?

Also check if it's a fake as well. Did you buy it from a reputable retailer? As there's a lot of counterfeit micro-SDs around.

tylis, Davdi, Dannydet and 2 others like this.
  3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

I used to recommend a great app called SD Insight that tested for legit cards, but it has not been updated since March 2018 and is effectively abandonware. However: there is another app, Fake Device Test that will check to make sure your 512GB card is really a 512GB card (or whether it's a 16GB card marked & formatted to appear to be 512GB). If you value your data, I highly recommend it for any, and every, new memory card you ever get for your phone.

4. ScttLee184

ScttLee184 Newbie

Just remembered, when I started the scan, i got bumped and dropped the phone (about 18 inches dropped onto padded carpet.) When it picked it up it showed 20% and never changed

Mikeft:
    If you mean the data size of card, then yes it does. It supports up to 512gb card
    the chief:
    Running check now

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Dropping the phone while doing that formatting process is most likely a significant point. You mentioned reformatting the card successfully in a PC but did you actually try to do the same in your phone again? The card might be fine, dropping a phone when it's doing anything will typically not work out too well.

6. ScttLee184

ScttLee184 Newbie

Svim: just tried to format on the phone. Screen went immediately to 20%. Had to reboot. Then the card said corrupted. Also via a PC I had put 50 gb of music on it and the phone said there was only 27 gb. I saw this before I tried to format with phone

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Return this card and get a new one. It's apparently damaged -- since the formatting on your PC does actually indicate there's a serious problem, if you're still covered under a replacement warranty you should take advantage of that.

Xavier Black, Hadron and ocnbrze like this.
  8. ScttLee184

ScttLee184 Newbie

I returned it and got one from another dealer. Same results, returned it. Ordered a san disk from a dealer I had luck with and it worked fine. On the second, I did do some checking and it was a fake

9. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Expert

So many times it's been mentioned in here why would you buy an external sd online when you can just drive to the store and get one..so you can avoid so many head aches..

I would never buy one online..I guess is just me.

PitCarver, MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  10. JosephFraser

JosephFraser Lurker

I would keep it.

11. John_Arthur

John_Arthur Lurker

I would have use it as an extra storage on macbook