1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
  1. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator Thread Starter

LOVE this explanation of 5G. AS it is popping up in my city right now, interesting to have a better understanding of what it is, how it works, and what to expect (or not expect)

Here's a VZW coverage map as well: https://www.verizonwireless.com/5g/coverage-map/

ocnbrze, olbriar and Unforgiven like this.
  2. olbriar

olbriar  

Enjoyed the 5G vid. That was pretty much my take on it but it was good to hear it so clearly explained. I have not done the research but my electronic wizard buddy that has been my go to on all things tech is a bit concerned about the 5G wave length being a long term problem to humans too. He is a bit of an alarmist and I've not confirmed his fears. 20ghz is in the microwave range. We are already bombarded by satellite waves at that frequency so it's probably not a big deal and I don't think there is anything we can do about it anyway.... it does leave room for thought however.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  3. NightAngel79

Attached Files:

olbriar likes this.
  4. olbriar

olbriar  

Did you fasten your seatbelt? Oh WoW! that be fast!

5. NightAngel79

Going to repost inline, lol

But yea, I saw the tower, but got notning standing below it. This was when I started walking away and was on next corner, nearly a city block away.

Screenshot_20200305-181819_Speedtest.jpg

olbriar likes this.
  6. olbriar

olbriar  

My Note is 5G capable but I've yet to visit a city that has the service. I'm way more than a block from the nearest tower. :)

7. NightAngel79

I was surprised I had some coverage. I mean, this is fairly nice sized city, but not compared to the big dogs.

olbriar likes this.
  8. olbriar

olbriar  

As I understand, the coverage currently in Kansas is limited to the KC area. I haven't checked recently but I doubt it has expanded much if any beyond that metro area. I don't anticipate it coming to my small city any time soon but I live in a burb of Wichita. It is the largest city in Kansas I do expect to find some 5G in Wichita while I still own this phone. I sure hope I'm right. It would be fun to see those crazy numbers just once. :)

NightAngel79 likes this.
  9. svim

svim Extreme Android User

10. NightAngel79

I don't disagree, and the prevailing theory is DO NOT buy a 5G phone just for 5G. But VZW seems to be doing a fair job with a bunch of areas: https://www.verizonwireless.com/5g/coverage-map/

I have decent coverage in downtown Cincinnati all things considered. But you know, it will never *replace* 4G like some mistaken think.

11. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

I thought 5G rolled out in Providence RI, USA?
    Kinda worked if you were close enough.
    BTW: I'm completely happy with 3G.

12. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Sure, 5G is going to be a great thing for those who are lucky enough to live in a locale that's covered. I live in the suburbs just west of Chicago so cellular coverage is really good for all the major carriers in this area but at the same time I'm fully aware I live within a bubble of entitlement.

dontpanicbobby likes this.
  13. NightAngel79

Yes, it rolled out in MANY cities. Around 30 just for VZW. ANd that is just it, you have to be VERY close to a 5G spot. Like feet away.
    I'm suburbs of Cincinnati, so I feel ya. And lucky enough to have coverage near river (by sport stadiums) a block from my office. So if I ever want to go to park by river and stream 8k content, I can! lol

14. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

What little I remember of the Providence RI roll out article I saw you could get it in some shops that had a repeater but plate glass windows blocked the signal. When outside a few steps to the left or right would make you drop that signal. Providence is also very hilly and elevation seemed to play a role.
    This is no where near Tesla's dream of wireless power transmission for everyone. Maybe if they can increase transmission range somehow?

Samsung Galaxy S20 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S20 release date was March 6th, 2020. Features and Specs include a 6.2" inch screen, 64MP camera, 12GB RAM, Exynos 990 or Snapdragon 865 processor, and 4000mAh battery.

March 6th, 2020
Release Date
Reviews
Specs