• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Enjoyed the 5G vid. That was pretty much my take on it but it was good to hear it so clearly explained. I have not done the research but my electronic wizard buddy that has been my go to on all things tech is a bit concerned about the 5G wave length being a long term problem to humans too. He is a bit of an alarmist and I've not confirmed his fears. 20ghz is in the microwave range. We are already bombarded by satellite waves at that frequency so it's probably not a big deal and I don't think there is anything we can do about it anyway.... it does leave room for thought however.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200305-181819_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20200305-181819_Speedtest.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 403
Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
As I understand, the coverage currently in Kansas is limited to the KC area. I haven't checked recently but I doubt it has expanded much if any beyond that metro area. I don't anticipate it coming to my small city any time soon but I live in a burb of Wichita. It is the largest city in Kansas I do expect to find some 5G in Wichita while I still own this phone. I sure hope I'm right. It would be fun to see those crazy numbers just once. :)

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Here in the U.S. I'm not too expectant that 5G will have a major role in cellular service for quite a while. Our carriers just aren't focused on investing on the necessary infrastructure and the FCC is for the most part worthless now.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...ut-americas-5g-is-so-bad-its-hard-to-see-why/

I don't disagree, and the prevailing theory is DO NOT buy a 5G phone just for 5G. But VZW seems to be doing a fair job with a bunch of areas: https://www.verizonwireless.com/5g/coverage-map/

I have decent coverage in downtown Cincinnati all things considered. But you know, it will never *replace* 4G like some mistaken think.

Upvote 0
I thought 5G rolled out in Providence RI, USA?
Kinda worked if you were close enough.
BTW: I'm completely happy with 3G.
Yes, it rolled out in MANY cities. Around 30 just for VZW. ANd that is just it, you have to be VERY close to a 5G spot. Like feet away.
Sure, 5G is going to be a great thing for those who are lucky enough to live in a locale that's covered. I live in the suburbs just west of Chicago so cellular coverage is really good for all the major carriers in this area but at the same time I'm fully aware I live within a bubble of entitlement.
I'm suburbs of Cincinnati, so I feel ya. And lucky enough to have coverage near river (by sport stadiums) a block from my office. So if I ever want to go to park by river and stream 8k content, I can! lol

Upvote 0
What little I remember of the Providence RI roll out article I saw you could get it in some shops that had a repeater but plate glass windows blocked the signal. When outside a few steps to the left or right would make you drop that signal. Providence is also very hilly and elevation seemed to play a role.
This is no where near Tesla's dream of wireless power transmission for everyone. Maybe if they can increase transmission range somehow?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones