1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

5G wifi on Android

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Larry Probert, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Larry Probert

Larry Probert Lurker

Does Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread support 5ghz wifi? It is needed to control a drone. Thanks in advance!

#1 Larry Probert, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 1, 2020

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Nope and never in a million years

Larry Probert likes this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i think you mean 5ghz not 5g. 5G is the new technology for mobile networks and has nothing to do with wifi. i don't see why gingerbread can't connect to 5ghz wifi. it should be able to. what device do you have? does your device not see the network? why do you need 5ghz for a drone? i know it is faster, but 5ghz also has a shorter range as well.

mikedt likes this.
  4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

You mean 5GHz WiFi? No chance. A device that's using 2.3.6 Gingerbread, is like really ancient.

What is the particular drone, is it a DJI or something else, what's the model, and what phone or tablet have you actually got there?

Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I can see advantages in using 5GHz for a drone. 5GHz has a very good line of sight range. which is what you must have for a drone(depending on aviation laws, like FAA, CAA. etc.) Plus 5GHz can be quite free of interference, unlike 2.4GHz, which again is what you want in controlling and flying a drone.

Larry Probert and ocnbrze like this.
  6. Larry Probert

Larry Probert Lurker

Thanks for the reply. You are correct...I wasn't paying attention.....5ghz. The website for the drone specifically stated 5ghz..and to make sure my phone was so equiped. My device does see the network but can't find if it will support the 5ghz.

7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

have tried connecting to it? if it connects, you should be fine.

Larry Probert likes this.
  8. Larry Probert

Larry Probert Lurker

Hello! Thanks for replying! I was looking at drones and saw some reqired 5ghz....haven't decided on anything yet, but need to know before making a possible purchase. My phone is a Samsung Android
    Thanks! I won't be waitung that long! LOL!

ocnbrze likes this.