• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SiempreTuna

Android Expert
Jan 11, 2013
Anyone seen anything about how sales are going to the 5X? My impression from the singular lack of activity on here is, not well. Even for a Nexus - and they normally sell about a hundred for every million iPhones sold.

I still haven't ever seen last year's N6 in the flesh and I think I only ever saw a couple of people with N4s and maybe 4 or 5 people with the (original) N5 (the best selling Nexus by a country mile, I'm told). Naturally, I haven't yet seen an N6P yet - and don't really expect to

Looks like the N5X is going to be a pretty exclusive handset ;)

i think that due to the phones (5x & 6P) not being sold by retailers (sprint, tmobile, verzion, etc...) it is going to significantly lower sales numbers. Most people don't know or want to be bothered ordering online & getting a SIM etc... Plus a lot of people don't have cash to buy a phone outright. They would rather lease or have the 2yrs payment plan/contract extension.
Your typical users walks into the store (Mobile retailers, bestbuy, walmart, etc...) & buy the one they prefer after seeing them &, hold it in their hand.
It is a little unnerving buying a $400-$600 phone online, never seeing it in person or holding it in your hand.

Personally i like it that way. give the 5x & 6P a sort of exclusivity

Upvote 0
Not that the general public would know about this necessarily, but Google does offer a payment plan.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 8.44.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 8.44.37 AM.png
    261.1 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0
I don't think Project Fi is available over here so the payment plan probably isn't either but a couple of the networks, plus the biggest independent retailer, are selling the N5X on 2 year (grossly overpriced) plans.

So I still expect the N5X to remain something of novelty. I work with a bunch of techies and not one of them had even heard of it until they saw mine. I don't expect any of them to buy one, either though they were a lot more positive about it than I'd anticipated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones