• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I just received a Droid Razr Maxx this week, and the System version remains the older 6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US. I am particularly interested in the upgrade, as I noticed one of the fixes is to have better 4G indication, as I'm trying to sort out if 4G is working at all on the device, it pretty much always indicates 3G. I called phone support, and they said that they can see the SIM, and the phone is activated, etc., on their system, but that I'm in a 4G "Extended" area, which long discussion short, apparently means it-might-work, it-might-not. So I'll probably take it to the local Verizon store to see for sure. Have to find a regular 4G area to check it out.

Upvote 0
Got mine here in Dallas. I had to do a factory reset to get it. Previously I was getting the message "check for updates is currently unavailable". I read in another post that once you start getting this message you have to factory reset. I reset my phone and as soon as I finished setting it back up, I checked for update and sure enough it was there waiting on me.

Upvote 0
I just manually checked my System updates, and I was informed of this update, and I'm installing as I type this.

If it's just bug fixes, great. One thing I've noticed (a bug) is that several of my short cut icons on my home page have turned into the generic gear icon... they still open and work, but it's a little annoying to see so many gear icons...

Upvote 0
I just manually checked my System updates, and I was informed of this update, and I'm installing as I type this.

If it's just bug fixes, great. One thing I've noticed (a bug) is that several of my short cut icons on my home page have turned into the generic gear icon... they still open and work, but it's a little annoying to see so many gear icons...

Have you tried removing them and then replacing them? I've never had the issue on my MAXX, but it's happened a few times on my Evo View.

Upvote 0

I've had this happen to me. Are the apps whose icons look like this installed on the SD card rather than the phone internal memory?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones