1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General 6 days w/ Photon, brought the POS back.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ninefourteener, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ninefourteener

None

Jun 26, 2010
    Been using the EVO for over a year. I'm a hard-core android user - Its not a toy, I use it for work/business, and personal. My job also takes me overseas 1-3 times per year. Needless to day, I was excited about the opportunity to get an android "superphone" that was internationally capable.

I was waiting outside the Best Buy store, with a Photon reserved.... the day they opened, the day the phone was released.

Day 2 - I couldn't say enough nice things about the Photon. The new UI was kind of a PITA to get used to, but it worked well, speedy, etc.

Day 3 - Phone crashed - I used the "update all" link on my apps that needed an update, and it crashed itself trying to download the same app 15 times at once. The phone was as hot as fire. Took it to Sprint, they pulled the battery out, re-installed, and it kept doing it. Hard reset.... lost everything.

Day 3 - The phone will sync via bluetooth, but it won't "pair". It says its paired, but it still makes you type in a 4-digit code every time you connect. It will not give you the option to "always pair" like it should. Bad software.

Day 4 - 3g network keeps dropping (like I've read is happening to a lot of people). I tried the PRL update + profile update, then tried adjusting the settings (as suggested) from CDMA to "automatic". That fixed it.. for a couple hours, then it dropped off again.

Day 5 - realized that because the network kept dropping, I wasn't getting any of my work email or my text messages. I refreshed it... nothing. The only way to get my mail/texts was to shut the phone down, restart it, and then I got several hours worth of messages all at once. Unacceptable.

Day 5 - battery life - 100% to 40% in 3 hours.... and I never so much as touched the phone (because I wasn't getting any notifications)... absolutely unacceptable.

Tried it with a task killer..... that helped a little bit..... the task killer that comes on the phone? garbage.

Day 6 - Brought it back to Best Buy. As I was doing a hard reset on the phone (to delete my personal info), the phone froze up again.

A dud? Maybe. But with all the problems I've been reading about this thing from other people, I'm not willing to risk my livelihood (and career) on a product that quite frankly, isn't dependable.

Came home with the new EVO about an hour ago. I could care less about the 3d bit... but whatever... so far it seems smooth, and I like the UI (although admittedly, I'm used to it). I gave my EVO to my wife, and there is no way I'm getting it back now... so I had to get something.

I haven't trusted Samsung products for years after being burned by the Ace, as well as the Moment. They are notorious for releasing an under-developed products, and then never providing any support (isn't the Edge still 2.2? LOL)

Nevertheless, now I can add motorola to my list of "Do not buy" products. I'm so disappointed in this piece of crap... you have no idea.

You've been warned. This many problems in the first week?? (not just me)... you know there are more to come.

Back to HTC again.... they haven't failed me yet.

Advertisement

beepover likes this.
  2. amelfl

amelfl Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    wow

you are frustrated and didn't even give them a chance, getting a new one maybe...

don't know what to say..

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Yeah, every make and model has lemons, that's mass production and the makers all need to step up their QA.

Hope your new 3D works out for you, and if you want to chat, we have a forum for that phone.

What's done is done, and in my experience, these threads often go wrong quickly.

Anyone wants this back open, drop me a line, let's chat, otherwise...

/thread

ScandaLeX and novox77 like this.