1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support -60 dbm and only 2 bars?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ddmclw, Oct 19, 2011.

1. ddmclw

ddmclw Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    Why is this? My dbm is reading -60 to -68 and I'm only getting 2 bars of 3g.

Advertisement

2. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    The bars aren't an accurate reflection

3. ddmclw

ddmclw Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    Okay. I thought that might be one reason. Here is what I got going on. I live in the mountains and only option for internet is broadband. Don't want high price satellite or dial up. So I have opted for broadband 3g for home internet. I just installed a zboost antenna. And it actually worked great! Went from -100 dbm to just around -62 dbm
    . I'm currently tethering my droid x to my laptop and after doing a speed test check my download speed is 0.32 mps and upload is at 0.25. My ping is around 150. My question is if I get a air card from verizon should my speeds increase. I plan on getting a cradle point router and run cable to ps3 and main computer and just use wifi for my laptop.

4. LokiStormbringer

None

Aug 25, 2010
    WI
    Someone will correct me if I am wrong but your dbm reading in the About Phone section has nothing to do with your 3g signal. The dbm is related to the strength of your 1x cell strength for making calls.

The booster you purchased is increasing your dbm for making calls. Is your booster made for 3g boosting? Since they are 2 different signals maybe you have bad 3g coverage in the area and good cell coverage.

I get 4 bars 3g coverage in my house but only around 1 or 2 bars of cell coverage.

5. ddmclw

ddmclw Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    The booster I have does voice and 3g data. Yx545 zboost unit. I guess I will try and position it better and try to find a stronger signal from a closer cell tower. Maybe the bars may jump up a little.

6. LokiStormbringer

None

Aug 25, 2010
    WI
    If you want to see what your 3g dbm is here is a way to do it. I found this on another forum.

7. ddmclw

ddmclw Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    I dont get what u are saying? Dial what?

8. ddmclw

ddmclw Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    Well I found an app calles open signal and it tells me everything I need to know. Thanks for everyones input.