1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General 64-bit/ARMv8 support

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by NullaVisus, Mar 3, 2016.

1. NullaVisus

NullaVisus Newbie
    None

Mar 3, 2016
    Male
    So out of curiosity, since the main CPU in the Stylo is 64-bit, why the stock ROM uses a 32-bit/ARMv7 kernel. Or why someone else hasn't compiled an ARMv8 kernel for it yet... Is there any real technical reasons for this? It just feels like the extra instructions are just sitting there being unused, and it would be nice to be able to test some 64-bit apps like Dolphin Emulator even if it would be slow:D There's also solving the 2038 problem, not that I'd still have this phone in 20 years but future proofing is important

Will the upcoming Marshmallow update for T-mobile use 64-bits?

Advertisement

2. daffyducknj

daffyducknj Android Enthusiast

May 24, 2012
    Male
    odd jobs atm
    NJ, USA
    My guess? At least for the 1GB ROM/8GB RAM models, the amount of memory would have something to do with it. 64 bit OSs require more memory to run. It's also a software issue, possibly. There still might not be enough 64 bit software to run, so the devs for the stock ROM have likely decided on leaving the system at 32 bit. I'd guess if one owns the higher spec Stylo in an unlocked GSM version, that might have a 64 bit version of the OS.

For me, it's not a big deal. My VM Stylo is easily the best Android phone I've owned to date. I actually like it unrooted, but decided to root it anyway so I could run a few extra apps, and adjust a few details like disk cache size. Hopefully someone else can answer your question about the T-mobile MM update.

3. NullaVisus

NullaVisus Newbie
    None

Mar 3, 2016
    Male
    I wasn't considering extra memory usage, although I have the 2GB variant

Also looking, there are Stylo variants with pure 32-bit Mediatek SoCs so maybe it's done this way for convenience

Realistically, how hard would it be to compile an armv8 kernel for this? I imagine it's just a matter of taking kernel sources and merging in some code from an ARMv8 AOSP kernel but I'm no dev by any means:D

4. Dorian2kx

Dorian2kx Member
    None

Aug 31, 2014
    So my t mobile stylo is actually 64bit and not 32?

5. NullaVisus

NullaVisus Newbie
    None

Mar 3, 2016
    Male
    Yeah, the US Stylo has a Qualcomn Snapdragon 410 SoC and uses an ARM Cortex A53 CPU, so it is indeed 64-bit, although the default version of Android is in 32-bit mode

Tags: