• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Samsung read 70mb
write 20mb

Sandisk on amazon just shows
Max. Data Transfer Rate: 30 MB/s

Will the Samsung be much better overall? I do not want to be waiting months for a 64GB drive.

That's interesting. There are a lot of "claims" regarding Samsung's 64gb micro sd, but I hadn't seen any real world tests or benchmarks yet, so I don't know how much I believe it:

Samsung announces a 104MB/s 64GB microSD card- The Inquirer

Android Police did a review of the UHS-I 64gb SanDisk and the speeds didn't really come close to the 30 mb/s, which is why I'd reserve comments on the Samsung micro SD, until it's actually released and there are proven tests on them.

[Quick Look] SanDisk 64GB microSDXC Ultra High Speed Card: A Fitting Name

Upvote 0
That's interesting. There are a lot of "claims" regarding Samsung's 64gb micro sd, but I hadn't seen any real world tests or benchmarks yet, so I don't know how much I believe it:

Samsung announces a 104MB/s 64GB microSD card- The Inquirer

Android Police did a review of the UHS-I 64gb SanDisk and the speeds didn't really come close to the 30 mb/s, which is why I'd reserve comments on the Samsung micro SD, until it's actually released and there are proven tests on them.

[Quick Look] SanDisk 64GB microSDXC Ultra High Speed Card: A Fitting Name

Am I right in thinking that even the top end card swith HD films on them cannot play back on say the Note 2 properly? That means all HD videos need to be stored on the internal memory correcy?

Upvote 0
Am I right in thinking that even the top end card swith HD films on them cannot play back on say the Note 2 properly? That means all HD videos need to be stored on the internal memory correcy?

Haha is that a joke? No way. Video plays perfectly smoothly. You can even install games on the sd card if you root it and play them smoothly. They just take longer to load. For example Real racing 2, Asphalt 7, Gta 3, Nova 3, Modern combat 3....

Putting things like apps + videos + pictures on the micro sd card just makes opening them slower. You only really need to put the large apps on the micro sd, if you want to, which would only be the case if you got 16gb note 2.

Upvote 0
Haha is that a joke? No way. Video plays perfectly smoothly. You can even install games on the sd card if you root it and play them smoothly. They just take longer to load. For example Real racing 2, Asphalt 7, Gta 3, Nova 3, Modern combat 3....

Putting things like apps + videos + pictures on the micro sd card just makes opening them slower. You only really need to put the large apps on the micro sd, if you want to, which would only be the case if you got 16gb note 2.

No I read on one of them links above that the cards they were testing even played HD video with no problems. This suggests lesser cards may not.

When you say ROOT it, what do you mean?

Upvote 0
The only reason i rooted my current Note is to put Titanium Backup. If it wasn't for that, I'll probably still be on stock. Using the Nova launcher and I was able to customize it to my viewing style.

AS for the 64GB, yeah thats what I would love to get, but I'll be happy with 32 as well.

TS

I'm looking forward to trying out Titanium Backup, once I root the Photon (after upgrading to the Note 2). From what I read in today's article, it just added the capability of backing up non-rooted ROM's. So, I'm a little 'bit ignorant to this, but would that mean that I'd be able to save my entire configuration on my phone? Like, if I decided to do a hard reset, I could literally load back all the apps I had on the phone, boot up the titanium backup, and it would re-configure my phone as I had it prior to hard reset?

Unfortunately, due to work security reasons, I'm not likely to root the Note 2...but, I would absolutely LOVE to have either the 64gb version or the 32gb version. I just hope that, if either is offered, Sprint doesn't keep the 32gb version for purchase at Sprint exclusively and not have it available to 3rd party retailers. Best Buy will be my place for upgrade, simply due to all the gift cards I have available.

4 weeks to go until we'll know the details! How fitting that my birthday lands on that Friday, so I'm hoping to have a Note 2 in my hands and can use to record video at the concert I'll be attending on Saturday!

Upvote 0
I'm looking forward to trying out Titanium Backup, once I root the Photon (after upgrading to the Note 2). From what I read in today's article, it just added the capability of backing up non-rooted ROM's. So, I'm a little 'bit ignorant to this, but would that mean that I'd be able to save my entire configuration on my phone? Like, if I decided to do a hard reset, I could literally load back all the apps I had on the phone, boot up the titanium backup, and it would re-configure my phone as I had it prior to hard reset?

Unfortunately, due to work security reasons, I'm not likely to root the Note 2...but, I would absolutely LOVE to have either the 64gb version or the 32gb version. I just hope that, if either is offered, Sprint doesn't keep the 32gb version for purchase at Sprint exclusively and not have it available to 3rd party retailers. Best Buy will be my place for upgrade, simply due to all the gift cards I have available.

4 weeks to go until we'll know the details! How fitting that my birthday lands on that Friday, so I'm hoping to have a Note 2 in my hands and can use to record video at the concert I'll be attending on Saturday!

From what has been written I gather that when you root your device you are able to store roms etc on the SD drive and use them as if they are on the internal memory while without rooting you cannot store certain things and use them on the SD drive?

Upvote 0
From what has been written I gather that when you root your device you are able to store roms etc on the SD drive and use them as if they are on the internal memory while without rooting you cannot store certain things and use them on the SD drive?

Not really, no. But some large apps do let you install parts of the files on the micro sd card without rooting. We'll see on Sunday on the release in the UK if the 32GB / 64GB version is offered.

Upvote 0
Not really, no. But some large apps do let you install parts of the files on the micro sd card without rooting. We'll see on Sunday on the release in the UK if the 32GB / 64GB version is offered.

I generally like to store things on removeable storage whenever i can, Id set default memory to be SD card usually.

I dont think I will be rooting the note though

Upvote 0
Called the Samsung store today. Said tomorrow they'll only have the 16GB White. Then they said the titanium grey is having production problems! So that might be a month before we can get that one! And then the guy, call back in about 4 or 5 weeks to inquire about the 32GB Note 2. :(

I told him that in Korea they're only selling the 32GB + 64GB currently. He said, the s3 only came in 16GB, and has been 16GB since May.
I know there's a 32GB version out right now.
Then he said that the reason the 32GB probably isn't available right now is because of the micro sd card slot!

So pretty confused now. Will have to wait until Monday to find out if O2 let me pre-order the Titanium Grey 32GB. I really don't like the white one, white phones look cheap and nasty!

Upvote 0
Called the Samsung store today. Said tomorrow they'll only have the 16GB White. Then they said the titanium grey is having production problems! So that might be a month before we can get that one! And then the guy, call back in about 4 or 5 weeks to inquire about the 32GB Note 2. :(

I told him that in Korea they're only selling the 32GB + 64GB currently. He said, the s3 only came in 16GB, and has been 16GB since May.
I know there's a 32GB version out right now.
Then he said that the reason the 32GB probably isn't available right now is because of the micro sd card slot!

So pretty confused now. Will have to wait until Monday to find out if O2 let me pre-order the Titanium Grey 32GB. I really don't like the white one, white phones look cheap and nasty!

Hmmm...here's to hoping... if he asked you to check back in 4-5 weeks, that falls in line perfectly with the US Note 2 event, so maybe they're holding off on the bigger memory versions until the phone is officially launched in the US also?

Upvote 0
I hope not. It'll be nice if on Monday all the network providers will show their pricing of the 32GB
-64GB I don't care too much about, since it's seriously not needed... 32GB is fine for apps + music + storing the photos + videos taken. Then just insert a 64GB micro sd card to put extra pictures and videos on. I'm sure we won't have to wait longer than a year for a 128gb microsd to come out, and I think the note 2 will support it fine, just like the current note supports 64gb versions

Hope the UK network providers at least have the prices of the 32GB versions and allow the option to pre-order it so they send it when it's available.

In Korea the 32GB and 64GB are the only ones being sold on contracts.

Upvote 0
I hope not. It'll be nice if on Monday all the network providers will show their pricing of the 32GB
-64GB I don't care too much about, since it's seriously not needed... 32GB is fine for apps + music + storing the photos + videos taken. Then just insert a 64GB micro sd card to put extra pictures and videos on. I'm sure we won't have to wait longer than a year for a 128gb microsd to come out, and I think the note 2 will support it fine, just like the current note supports 64gb versions

Hope the UK network providers at least have the prices of the 32GB versions and allow the option to pre-order it so they send it when it's available.

In Korea the 32GB and 64GB are the only ones being sold on contracts.

friend of mine has his Note 2 today!! 16gb though

Just pre ordered a Titanium and a white 64GB Note 2 from Expansys will decide on colour when they confirm it is ready and cancel the other order.

Upvote 0
You do realize that it's not in stock yet..... Apart from in Korea. Might be a while for the 64GB to come out. I'm hoping the 32GB comes out in the next few days at least.

I'm hoping sprint does the right thing and offers at least the 32gb. I'm fine with the 16, but 32 or 64 would keep me content for a longer time.

Upvote 0
I know it may never come, like the 64gb Xyboard tab that Motorola announced, but if it does, that will be the Note 2 I purchase.

Yeah, it's strange how those variations with higher storage never made it to US production. Only thing i could think is the providers maximize profit by not offering the higher memory versions.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's strange how those variations with higher storage never made it to US production. Only thing i could think is the providers maximize profit by not offering the higher memory versions.
The argument I hear is "why do you need that much storage with available cloud storage". Verizon my have the largest LTE network, but with restrictive data plans, 2 and 5gb plans are spent very fast. Therefore music fans like myself need the local phone storage. My Xyboard has no SD slot and with my RAZR, I can't move Play Music to SD card

Upvote 0
The argument I hear is "why do you need that much storage with available cloud storage". Verizon my have the largest LTE network, but with restrictive data plans, 2 and 5gb plans are spent very fast. Therefore music fans like myself need the local phone storage. My RAZR has no SD slot.

Lol... yeah, I've actually heard the providers mention that argument, which is such a crock because no matter how strong a connection is, it'll never b better than a hard file.

It's almost as bad as the argument i heard from a best buy sales rep selling the beats box, that's 400 bux. When me and my cousin both said out loud, "why is it 400 bux?" This was the exact response, "Because it's bluetooth!".... roflmao... i almost started busting up laughing. i seriously couldn't believe that was the sales pitch!

For me, the extra storage is pretty imperative for my work and personal life. ts, can and a few others that know what I do 4 a living, can attest to my need for extra storage being legit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones