• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

7/28/10 PRL update

i wonder if this is related to all the 4g issues we have been having these past few days?

what does PRL stand for and why do i care

edit...just dug it up

The PRL is a list of information that resides in the memory of some kinds of digital phones. It lists the radio frequencies the phone can use in various geographic areas.

The part of the list for each area is ordered by the bands the phone should try to use first. Therefore it's a kind of priority list for which towers the phone should use.

The PRL helps determine which home-network towers to use, and also which towers belonging to other networks to use in roaming situations (areas where the home network has no coverage.) When roaming, the PRL may instruct the phone to use the network with the best roaming rate for the carrier, rather than the one with the strongest signal at the moment.

Since a PRL tells the phone "where" to search for a signal, as carrier networks change over time, an updated PRL may be required for a phone to "see" all of the coverage that it should, both with the home network and for roaming.

Upvote 0
My data speeds are the same...jus ran a test
389d43ae.png

Reactions: Droidone
Upvote 0
People have said the 4G Signal has trouble penetrating walls

And from what I can tell, darkness, a few trees and being outside walking dogs does it no good either. I tried updating profile and prl both today and then turned on 4g to walk dogs around park in South St. Louis - it dropped, came back once, dropped and caused a "searching for signal" message for about 10 minutes then I switched over to 3g - still some dropping but not as bad. I was trying to check out sirius radio trial to see if it was worth buying - it is great when it works, but no point if I can't get the connection to stay up. Inside my house is impossible unless I use wifi.

Upvote 0
I've read that signal penetration in general for sprint is on the lacking side due to the frequency or mg hertz level their network exists on. Penetration into any building is not very good because they have a higher frequency, lower frequencys such as att penetrate more because they are lower, thiscan be confirmed from at least my experience. I've recently switched over from the iphone and always got great signal in my house and in the basement, now I get 1-2 bars inside, none downstairs. Can't really make calls in my basement...slightly irritating. But none the less, enjoy the evo alot more, limitations aside!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones