• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

7 Inch Amazon Tab coming Oct, 10 inch next year

KyleB

Jan 25, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Report: Amazon 10-Inch Tablet Production Starts Early Next Year | PCWorld

Just saw the latest news report on the Amazon tab. I was hoping they'd release the 10 inch one now.

For those considering buying the Amazon tab, are you cool with the 7 inch tab or will you wait for the 10 inch? What do you think about the latest news?

This part sounds good:
It's also rumored that the Amazon tablets will have more muscle than the iPad and be sporting quad-core processors

It will be interesting to see the rest of the specs.

Allegedly anyway. These reports about the Amazon tablet kill me in so many ways. We literally know nothing about it yet "analysts" are predicting it will sell 5 million units in the 4th quarter and will be the first tablet to really compete with the iPad in terms of market share. Yet we know nothing about it at all. We don't know for sure how big it will be. We don't know what kind of processor it will have. We don't know how much memory it will have. We don't know if it'll be e-ink or LCD. We don't know if it'll run any app in the market or if it'll be limited like the Nook Color. We don't have any clue what the pricing is. We literally know nothing about it yet people are willing to crown it as the best in the category. About all we know is that it will run Android. And we don't even know what flavor of Android it will run or if it'll be vanilla or have a custom skin.

Upvote 0
The important thing is that there will be an android tablet with a revenue stream so that costs can be low and finally compete with Apple on price/performance. amazon can sell almost everything with the tablet.

I agree. It is exciting to see a tab that will compete with the Ipad. Plus, if they really do keep the price low or around cost as some reports are saying, yet the specs are good, I'm wondering if the other tab manufacturers will have to drop prices to compete...Why buy a $500 tab from another manufacturer if you can get same specs or better from the Amazon one for $300?

Upvote 0
I am not sure I would want an Amazon tablet. I would bet money it will not have market access only the Amazon store. I haven't researched much into how amazon looks at rooting but they could easily pull a moto move and try to prevent rooting to gain market access on the tablet. I am not saying the table won't be rooted and an exploited but they could try to make it difficult. I personally have some expensive apps from the market I don't want to have to pay for again, and some aren't even on the amazon store if I was willing to.

Upvote 0
Crazy what good advertising and product placement can do.

The thing is Amazon has done no marketing for its tablet whatsoever. None at all. The only thing we know for sure about it is that it will run some flavor of Android. That's it. Outside of that, we know absolutely nothing. Yet people say it will sell 5 million units. If Amazon rolls this out and it's $499 and running a skinned version of Android like the Nook Color does will it sell 5 million units? Not a chance. But they could well do that. We honestly have no clue.

Upvote 0
I was thinking the same thing about the whole 'Amazon might blacklist the Android App Market' thing. However, I don't see why. If an app is available in both markets, I buy it from Amazon. Period. I do it because I can use that same app on all of my family's android devices (unlike the Android market, which forces me to buy it over and over and over again if i want it on every device).

I figure most consumers think like I do, going for the better deal at Amazon, unless of course it's one of those few MUST-HAVE apps that sells exclusively on Android Market.
*cough* Mybackup pro, TASKER, Titanium Backup, Class Buddy, CHROME TO PHONE, DroidLaw, Full HDMI, Gesture Search, GhostTown, HANDCENT, Jewels, Liquor Run, Mobile Fax, NETFLIX, PANDORA, Quick Settings, Redbox *cough* *cough* *cough* :rolleyes:

But back on topic. I want a tablet. I am in the market right now. I wanted to get one last week, but I am willing to wait until the end of September, then I am going to get one for my birthday. If Amazon is truly going to half-ass it with a 7" first, then follow it with the feature device some-odd 4-6 months later, then they are certainly losing my business for one.

Personally, I would really be surprised to see Amazon skip the big holiday season and sit back with their thumbs up their asses, then try to make a big splash in the lull following the season when all of their potential consumers are sitting around with an empty wallet in one hand and an iPad2 in the other. Could that really happen? I doubt it, but we'll see I guess...

Upvote 0
I was thinking the same thing about the whole 'Amazon might blacklist the Android App Market' thing. However, I don't see why. If an app is available in both markets, I buy it from Amazon. Period. I do it because I can use that same app on all of my family's android devices (unlike the Android market, which forces me to buy it over and over and over again if i want it on every device).

I figure most consumers think like I do, going for the better deal at Amazon, unless of course it's one of those few MUST-HAVE apps that sells exclusively on Android Market.
*cough* Mybackup pro, TASKER, Titanium Backup, Class Buddy, CHROME TO PHONE, DroidLaw, Full HDMI, Gesture Search, GhostTown, HANDCENT, Jewels, Liquor Run, Mobile Fax, NETFLIX, PANDORA, Quick Settings, Redbox *cough* *cough* *cough* :rolleyes:

I'm the opposite. I buy 99.9% of my apps through the Market. I'll take the free app of the day off Amazon if it's good, but I can't recall every buying an app from them. My reasoning is that I want all my apps in one place and I like how the Market handles updates far, far better than Amazon. I have no need to have the same app on multiple devices under different email accounts though.

But back on topic. I want a tablet. I am in the market right now. I wanted to get one last week, but I am willing to wait until the end of September, then I am going to get one for my birthday. If Amazon is truly going to half-ass it with a 7" first, then follow it with the feature device some-odd 4-6 months later, then they are certainly losing my business for one.

I disagree that 7" is half assed. I currently own a 7" Galaxy Tab and 10" HP Touchpad. They have their advantages and disadvantages. I was trying to read on the TouchPad last night and was loving it because the screen is so much bigger. Then my wrist got tired and the thing came crashing down on my skull. I can honestly say I've never had that problem with my Tab. I absolutely love the 7" size just for it's portability. If I had to choose between the two and everything else was equal, I'd take the Tab just for that reason. I can easily tuck it into the pocket of my suit coat and I'm off to the races. The portability is sweet. Speaking as someone who owns two tablets, I would not consider buying a 10" Amazon tablet. I would seriously consider buying a 7" tablet. I would question why I would need three tablets though. If I could crack that nut, I'd buy a reasonably priced Amazon tablet.

Personally, I would really be surprised to see Amazon skip the big holiday season and sit back with their thumbs up their asses, then try to make a big splash in the lull following the season when all of their potential consumers are sitting around with an empty wallet in one hand and an iPad2 in the other. Could that really happen? I doubt it, but we'll see I guess...

It'll be out in the fourth quarter. I think that's a given. Amazon is not a company to drop the ball on stuff like this. I just think it's ridiculous that people are hyping it to the moon when he literally know nothing at all about it. Once we know the specs and what it will sell for, then we can speculate on how many will sell. Once we know all the features, then we can speculate on whether we'd buy one or not.

Upvote 0
I'm the opposite. I buy 99.9% of my apps through the Market. I'll take the free app of the day off Amazon if it's good, but I can't recall every buying an app from them. My reasoning is that I want all my apps in one place and I like how the Market handles updates far, far better than Amazon. I have no need to have the same app on multiple devices under different email accounts though.
That is a very good point about the Market's handling of updates. I gotta say that I'm not happy about many of the apps that I have on Amazon that show available updates in the Market.

I disagree that 7" is half assed. I currently own a 7" Galaxy Tab and 10" HP Touchpad. They have their advantages and disadvantages.... The portability is sweet. Speaking as someone who owns two tablets, I would not consider buying a 10" Amazon tablet. I would seriously consider buying a 7" tablet....
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that 7" tablets are half-assed due to their size. They are great for some people. I meant that releasing only 1/2 of the lineup is half-assed, and I'm not happy that they are going with the 7" first. Besides, IMO the 10" is going to be their feature device since it will be the one competing with the iPad2. It's hurting them if they hold off for too long before releasing it.

It'll be out in the fourth quarter. I think that's a given. Amazon is not a company to drop the ball on stuff like this. I just think it's ridiculous that people are hyping it to the moon when he literally know nothing at all about it. Once we know the specs and what it will sell for, then we can speculate on how many will sell. Once we know all the features, then we can speculate on whether we'd buy one or not.
4th quarter will be too long IMO. If they want to get the 10" out there and gobbling up market share they need to do it ASAP. The HP fire sale already swallowed up a considerable amount of the market for low-priced tablets. Furthermore, I predict that this coming Black-Friday/Cyber-Monday is going to be heavily Tablet oriented because there are now FINALLY many decent viable options.

If Amazon hopes to compete then, IMO, they need to officially announce the tablets ASAP and get consumers to hold back on their purchases (I'm sure many people out there have no idea that an Amazon Android tablet is on the way and are continuing to ignorantly purchase alternatives, unless of course they follow these kinds of forums). Then Amazon needs to release the tablet(s) no later than mid-October. They should warehouse some supply while letting the market run a little scarce and get a good 6 weeks of early-adopter publicity out there. Then hit Black Friday hard with a ton of supply and a $50 discount (assuming that it's well-priced up front, and also assuming that their primary concern is gaining market share).

But that's just me...

Upvote 0
That is a very good point about the Market's handling of updates. I gotta say that I'm not happy about many of the apps that I have on Amazon that show available updates in the Market.

I have two real gripes about updates on Amazon - a) you don't get notified of them and b) you don't get told what is in those updates. I checked for updates manually just for fun and found 8 apps needing updated. I had received no notification from the Amazon app store. I also had no idea what those updates added or subtracted from the app in question.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that 7" tablets are half-assed due to their size. They are great for some people. I meant that releasing only 1/2 of the lineup is half-assed, and I'm not happy that they are going with the 7" first. Besides, IMO the 10" is going to be their feature device since it will be the one competing with the iPad2. It's hurting them if they hold off for too long before releasing it.

I don't think you necessarily have to have a 10" tablet to compete with the iPad. I really don't. The Kindle is about 7". People are happy with it. The NC is about the same size. People are happy with it. I think if Amazon rolled out a 7" model with their well developed eco-system they'd have a winner if they priced it right.

4th quarter will be too long IMO. If they want to get the 10" out there and gobbling up market share they need to do it ASAP. The HP fire sale already swallowed up a considerable amount of the market for low-priced tablets. Furthermore, I predict that this coming Black-Friday/Cyber-Monday is going to be heavily Tablet oriented because there are now FINALLY many decent viable options.

Honestly, I hadn't thought about the fire sale and it's effect on the market. I do think consumers will end up dissatisfied with the Touchpad. I've got one and I know how fickle people are. They'll discover that even though they only paid $99 for it it does not have multi gazillions of apps on it therefore it sucks. I see more of them popping up on ebay from dissatisfied customers who really want an iPad, but don't want to pay $500 for one. Personally, I like mine, but I realize I only paid $149 and therefore can't expect the same experience I'd get from a $500 tablet.

If Amazon hopes to compete then, IMO, they need to officially announce the tablets ASAP and get consumers to hold back on their purchases (I'm sure many people out there have no idea that an Amazon Android tablet is on the way and are continuing to ignorantly purchase alternatives, unless of course they follow these kinds of forums). Then Amazon needs to release the tablet(s) no later than mid-October. They should warehouse some supply while letting the market run a little scarce and get a good 6 weeks of early-adopter publicity out there. Then hit Black Friday hard with a ton of supply and a $50 discount (assuming that it's well-priced up front, and also assuming that their primary concern is gaining market share).

But that's just me...

I think as long as they get them out before Black Friday they'll be fine IF they subsidize it. If they sell a locked down tablet at the $399-499 price they'll be screwed no matter what they do. If they sell a locked down tablet at $250 that has access to the Amazon App store, Amazon Cloud Music/MP3 store, Kindle, Amazon VOD, etc..... and they've got a huge, huge winner assuming the thing runs decently. It won't matter if they make it 7" or 10" or both, I think people will flock to it. They're basically duplicating the Google experience (one ID for everything) but with your Amazon account. They've definitely got the ecosystem in place to make it work.

Upvote 0
I have two real gripes about updates on Amazon - a) you don't get notified of them and b) you don't get told what is in those updates. I checked for updates manually just for fun and found 8 apps needing updated. I had received no notification from the Amazon app store. I also had no idea what those updates added or subtracted from the app in question.
Yeah, that is a little annoying. But I don't update my apps anyways. I've had sooooooooooo many experiences where the update subtracts good stuff or adds bad stuff (and numerous times I've seen devs lie about what was in my update). So if I'm happy with an app I don't ever update it. Some of the apps I'm running are the versions I saved from 1-2 years ago.

I don't think you necessarily have to have a 10" tablet to compete with the iPad. I really don't. The Kindle is about 7". People are happy with it. The NC is about the same size. People are happy with it. I think if Amazon rolled out a 7" model with their well developed eco-system they'd have a winner if they priced it right.
I just plainly disagree. A 7" is great, and people will flock to it if it's done right, but it's not a direct competitor with the iPad (or any other 10") IMO. I don't see a 7" being a direct substitute for a 10", just as I wouldn't see an 4.3" Evo (without network connection) as a substitute for a 7" tablet. Agree to disagree on this one? :eek:

Honestly, I hadn't thought about the fire sale and it's effect on the market. I do think consumers will end up dissatisfied with the Touchpad.
In many instances, yes I think you're right.

I think as long as they get them out before Black Friday they'll be fine IF they subsidize it. If they sell a locked down tablet at the $399-499 price they'll be screwed no matter what they do. If they sell a locked down tablet at $250 that has access to the Amazon App store, Amazon Cloud Music/MP3 store, Kindle, Amazon VOD, etc..... and they've got a huge, huge winner assuming the thing runs decently. It won't matter if they make it 7" or 10" or both, I think people will flock to it. They're basically duplicating the Google experience (one ID for everything) but with your Amazon account. They've definitely got the ecosystem in place to make it work.
I agree. That is definitely what they should do. But I disagree about the timing. They need a buffer, before Black Friday, to get (1) The consumers on notice, and (2) Good publicity running in order to take Black Friday from the other tablets.

On a side note, the Toshiba Thrive is a 'deal of the day' on Ebay right now for $329!!! Can I hold myself back...?:thinking: I know that i couldn't if it was the Xoom for $329... but the Thrive... hmm...

Upvote 0
Yeah, that is a little annoying. But I don't update my apps anyways. I've had sooooooooooo many experiences where the update subtracts good stuff or adds bad stuff (and numerous times I've seen devs lie about what was in my update). So if I'm happy with an app I don't ever update it. Some of the apps I'm running are the versions I saved from 1-2 years ago.

I'm in the same boat, but with the Marketplace you see what those updates will do before you install them. Then you make your decision appropriately. There are definitely apps that are better in older versions. I updated one app recently and found the update so horrid I would've never used the app in the first place. Yet the previous version was a must-have.

I just plainly disagree. A 7" is great, and people will flock to it if it's done right, but it's not a direct competitor with the iPad (or any other 10") IMO. I don't see a 7" being a direct substitute for a 10", just as I wouldn't see an 4.3" Evo (without network connection) as a substitute for a 7" tablet. Agree to disagree on this one? :eek:

I think you're just plain wrong. Anything that potentially steals market share from the iPad is a competitor and I think a 7" tablet can be that if it's done right. Until you use one, you can't underestimate the portability of it. I could fight off a mugger with an iPad. I can easily shove my Tab in my coat pocket and no one knows it's there. We can agree to disagree. You're still wrong though. :mad:

I agree. That is definitely what they should do. But I disagree about the timing. They need a buffer, before Black Friday, to get (1) The consumers on notice, and (2) Good publicity running in order to take Black Friday from the other tablets.

I disagree just because it's Amazon. If it was Motorola or Samsung or someone else, I would agree 100%. However, Amazon's primary target is going to be existing Amazon customers. They roll the tablet out, shoot a massive email, publish a press release on their front page and ship a few demo units out to reviewers and they are golden. Motorola has to convince someone that A) Motorola is a good brand and b) they really want to buy a Xoom. Amazon has already convinced people they're great. They have an existing customer base. They just have to convince people that their retail experience will be better if they own a Kindle Tab. That's not a hard sale for Amazon IMO since they already have the customer base in place.

On a side note, the Toshiba Thrive is a 'deal of the day' on Ebay right now for $329!!! Can I hold myself back...?:thinking: I know that i couldn't if it was the Xoom for $329... but the Thrive... hmm...

I'd hold off any tablet until Amazon makes it's announcement. Buyer's remorse sucks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones