1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

7-inch sub $300 tablets - Google and Asus

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Curt941, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Curt941

Curt941 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 6, 2010

Advertisement

2. DroidDavi

DroidDavi Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    This will be great and will hopefully help android in the tablet area.

3. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    These tablets look very interesting. One thing that I found with the Coby -
    If I get one of these tablets, will I be able to access the apps I want on Market? The Coby is wifi only though Market says it's a TMO device.

I have apps on the phone that I would gladly repurchase for a tablet. Market won't even say they are available for the tablet.

I found the APK for one app which Market said wouldn't run and it is identical in use, etc. to the same app on the phone.

Before even hunting for a newer tablet, I need answers to these questions. Does anyone know?

4. Curt941

None

Jun 6, 2010
    Big difference between buying a Coby tablet and an ASUS or Google branded tablet.

Market support will be much better.

5. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    But will Market let me repurchase apps? Will it see tablet as another TMO device? I don't game or use any social apps. Any music or videos I download on the computer and put on the tablet's card. So most of the apps that are the most popular are useless to me.

Some of these apps that I bought are not listed for tablet. Astro Tools was listed for phone device only. That is the app that is identical on the phone and tablet. (found APK)

Has Market not tested the apps on a tablet and that's why the apps are not available? Or does Market not really deal with wifi only? Once I tweaked Market on the Coby, I got my phone contacts and a few other things synced over. I can't make a call unless I use VOIP as there is no network. Tablet wifi only.

If someone is using a wifi only tablet and getting the apps they want - please let me know how Market sees the tablet.

I said repurchase for tablet, so I'm not trying to cheat.

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    The Market should work fine with wifi only. I use one of my phones as a small internet appliance that way, it's not on a carrier contract, it's no longer a phone.

Your apps tie to your Gmail account. Most devs seem ok if you downloaded apps to two devices, you can only use one at a time. Check terms of service on apps (and thanks for your honesty here!).

Sometimes the Market doesn't recognize an app that it should for your device. In that case, try sideloading by taking it from your phone (if legal).

7. Curt941

None

Jun 6, 2010
    A lot of the cheaper tablets don't have true market access, and that might be the problem for your coby.

But the new generation of tablets, especially from the top companies, will have normal market access, so once you log in with your gmail, you SHOULD be able to download the same apps I would assume.

8. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Thanks for the replies.

On the tablet, or even on the phone, I see no way to purchase an app again.
    If the app is supported by both devices, will it give you the opportunity to purchase for the second device?

Seems like these questions never get answered. Maybe no one else cares or only wants the latest.

That Asus does look really good, and close to what I want. Like my phone, I have all kinds of information stored - star charts, geological info, photography info. Far easier to read on the tablet.

I had the el cheapo Nook and the Coby is just as good as an e-reader. Astro Tools does better on the 7" tablet. Found some videos that play well. I just want to get a couple of newer astronomy programs to run as Android is getting much better. That's why the questions on Market.

What is funny - I can get a beta of a program from an astronomy site - runs just fine as dev says it will run on tablet. Get to Market, I can't get it. Says it won't run on tablet.

The other question - what kind of connections do these tablets have?
    Coby came with a charger, but it wasn't usb or mini usb. Can't charge through usb. So a blurb, comes with a charger isn't a lie, but I would like to know what kind of adapter a tablet uses.

9. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    I'm excited for sure! I'm excited to see tablets go down in price. And these are decent looking tablets.

10. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Perhaps my answer was worded poorly. The standard license the vast majority of devs use is the Android default. It doesn't tie to a device, just your account. You don't need to repurchase in most cases. It's not cheating unless you plan to use both at the same time. In which case, ask the dev.

Sideloading - get app to phone. Copy / move apk file to SD, then to tablet via PC if necessary. Many file managers will perform apk installation.

11. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Does it have usb for file xfer?

12. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I haven't seen a copy of the Android default license. I thought any license caveat would be on the blurb about the app itself. Especially pay apps. The Audubon apps I would assume would have to be repurchased anyway. The company that puts out those apps is on special license from Audubon.

I can install APK, but getting it from the phone to the tablet is ? Does the whole app transfer? I don't see the app broken down on the phone. There's no list of the bits and pieces that make up the app - like exe and ini on a computer. What do you transfer? and how?

When I've sideloaded, I've used APK. Just finding those can be a problem. I used to sideload on the Nokia all the time.

If you mean the Coby, yes. You can TF by USB, but the card is also external and just as easy to remove and TF via computer.

I have a problem is with charging connections. If I use the tablet for astronomy in a remote area - (Astro Tools works with no data) - the battery life isn't that great. Trying to find adapters for some of these products that will fit in a cigarette lighter charger can be a pain. The phone uses a slightly different micro usb on the phone end, but the end that goes in the charger is standard usb. I had to find a kludged up charger from Radio Shack for the Coby. They need to standardize this. The Garmin and the Sandisk Sansa use regular USB on the adapter end. Easier to deal with a couple of cables than a couple of adapters.

13. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    See if the charger for one of the Motorola Bluetooth headsets isn't what you are looking for. They come in a few different types, but one sounds like you describe. The industry had standardized on micro USB, but there's always someone doing things their own way.

If in doubt on grabbing the apk, use Astro File Manager to backup to SD. Just the apk file should suffice, if I remember correctly.

14. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    What Google pad vs China pad? No contest isn't it?

15. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    I may be in the market to replace my 7" Galaxy Tab. The main reason I haven't at this point is it still works beautifully for what I need it for and there's nothing out there in the 7" size that's really compelling. I would sell it and get a $200-250 Nexus tablet tomorrow if said tablet had decent hardware and was reliable.

16. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Hmm...I wonder who is manufacturing the Google tablet? Samsung or Moto?

17. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I'll give it a shot. That ASUS is looking really good.

18. mamawm

mamawm Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    might also add that the acer a100 can be had for $250 (or less). it's been out a while but is still a good little 7"er with dual core, honeycomb and should be updating to ics soon.

19. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I tried moving the APK. The Audubon series won't work, but Vortex did. A little strangely since the tablet is resistive and not capacitive touch. I also transferred a moon map app that the developer posted on in an astronomy forum. He gave us the apk for the beta, said he'd tested on most devices and it worked. The beta did work.
    That's another that Market says I can't have for the tablet. It works great after transfer.

What on earth is Market's criteria? I found an app that had NO permissions and Market promptly refused it for the tablet. It would work on Eclair and up! Yet the tablet let me download Hacker's Keyboard. I can see GPS and calling being permissions that would deny service or not allow the app to run. I've seen disclaimers on some apps that they are allowed to override some settings. (mostly storage)

I would still like to know how Market sees other wifi only tablets that are approved. What device are they listed as? How about a rooted Kindle Fire? I think the Color Nook supported 3G. B&N had a subscription service with ATT. I don't want to buy a carrier supported tablet unless it uses a SIM and I can take the SIM out and use wifi only.

I don't want the tablet even attempting to get network data. I go places where I am roaming, and network data isn't available. So wifi only is a better solution.

Does anyone have a wifi only tablet on an account and NO PHONE?

20. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
  21. mamawm

mamawm Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    the acer a100 is wifi only, but only apps optimized for honeycomb are available in the market for download (however, that's most of the apps) . when i go into the market>my account>settings i see each of my phones and the carrier listed is verizon, but the a100 has a blank space under carrier. hope this little tid-bit helps.

22. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I bought the Acer 8g. BB had a decent deal. There are a couple of new astronomy programs I want.

Now how do I store the Coby until August? I'll give it to daughter on yearly visit.