1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General 720p Display, Overkill!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pochi_X, Jan 18, 2012.

1. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Android Enthusiast

In some ways I do actually think the screen is overkill, but not for the same reason as the op.

I think it "may" be overkill because I can kind of tell that the 1.2 ghz processor can't really keep up with the number of pixels on the screen. This is why even tho other phones with comparable processors like the razr seem a little bit snappier than the nexus.

Also, it may have made more sense for samsung and google to have shot for a qHD super amoled plus screen with non pentile rather than a pentile 720p. I definitely think that the super amoled+ screens in the SGSII screen have a higher "quality" although overall they aren't "better" because the screen res is so much lower. The screen on the gnex is not as dark as the SGSII and is blotchy although it isn't as blotchy as my RAZR was. Just to give credit where it's due, I will say that I don't notice the pentile issue in text as I did with my captivate, atrix, and razr (check sig) but I do still see some gradient issues with the gnex due to the pentile matrix.

Also, a third reason for why it may have been overkill is because qHD is was in the android ecosystem first and would've been a smart move to help make it more ubiquitous and reduce fragmentation. I bet swype would've already been working if there wasn't the screen resolution issue. Not really complaining tho, just sayin'.

Personally, I would've prefered a qHD Super Amoled+ screen over 720p. I'm sure that Samsung were thinking that advertising "720p" would be easier than advertising Super Amoled+ when there's so many confusing variants out there like Sumer Amoled Advanced which is in the RAZR. We would've gotten speed, contrast, no blotches, better colors, uniformity across devices which means working apps like swype, and no pentile gradient issues.

Just thought I'd bring a little reason to the thread. Anyway I'm still very satisfied with the screen on my gnex.

Advertisement

2. Pochi_X

Pochi_X Member

You're lucky then,

I got bit of viruses and mostly a trojan once, but again I do check some "weird" sites.

It could be the reason for not putting qHD is that they don't want to fall in the same mistake of the Nexus S (which didn't bring anything new hardware-wise), so they wanted to be on lead on something, and they did (the 720p screen and the buttonless front).

3. ZachMob

ZachMob Well-Known Member

720p is good for looking at websites because most websites are designed for desktop. You can read the text without the need to zoom in with a higher resolution screen.

On the computer monitor, you never see text that is smaller than what the screen can render, so it shouldn't be a big issue. The phone won't ruin your experience.

I never like qHD, because it was different than the standard Android display sizes but still not as good as the iPhone. It could be a little overkill with 720p, but it is a nice round number and has a higher resolution than the iPhone.

4. rocketjacket

rocketjacket Newbie

another snoozer