• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

720p Video in mp4 format works!

jcthorne

Jun 4, 2010
Houston
Encoding a video to the following specs and loading it on the EVO plays with the included video player perfectly. No jumping and clear, in sync sound. 720p resolution so the HDMI out should work once the cables are available.

h.264 at Level 3.1, 3 reference frames and baseline profile. 1280 x 720
AAC stereo audio at 44100Hz, 128kbps

Bit rate does not seem to be all that important as long as the video file is less than 2GB.

Muxed to an mp4 container in IMSA standard format and optimized for streaming.

WOOT!

They are available. Ebay or Dealextreme has them, as well as sprint stores.

Called 5 sprint stores, none had gotten any. Dealextream only had it in stock in hong kong - 2 weeks via air mail. Amazon lists it for $6 but its out of stock. Bought it from a ebay seller that claims to have stock in Texas and ship next day for $14. They do seem to be in short supply but likely to flood the market in the next few weeks.

Upvote 0
But unless your playing the videos back on an external device, it doesn't matter anyway. It just gets scaled down to the screen size, and that puts extra burden on the CPU.

Because I will rarely watch a feature movie on a 4.3" screen. I will however plug EVO into the tv in my hotel room and watch High Def movies for free rather than $12 for crap the hotel sells. Now when I travel, I have movies and shows I want to watch. Usually transfered from my Tivo the day I leave. Been doing similar with my laptop but this is SO much more convienient. And I CAN watch the same material on the plane if enroute if I choose.

Now, were are those 64GB microSDHC cards?

Upvote 0
But unless your playing the videos back on an external device, it doesn't matter anyway. It just gets scaled down to the screen size, and that puts ex

Because I will rarely watch a feature movie on a 4.3" screen. I will however plug EVO into the tv in my hotel room and watch High Def movies for free rather than $12 for crap the hotel sells. Now when I travel, I have movies and shows I want to watch. Usually transfered from my Tivo the day I leave. Been doing similar with my laptop but this is SO much more convienient. And I CAN watch the same material on the plane if enroute if I choose.

Now, were are those 64GB microSDHC cards?
You get HDTVs in your hotel room?! What kind of hotels do you go to! I find it rare to get a TV with composite in!

And 64GB cards aren't coming for quite some time. I read 32GB ones didn't come out until recently. And have maxed out the SDHC standard. So the EVO won't be able to use a 64GB card.

Sent from an HTC Eris

Upvote 0
You get HDTVs in your hotel room?! What kind of hotels do you go to! I find it rare to get a TV with composite in!

And 64GB cards aren't coming for quite some time. I read 32GB ones didn't come out until recently. And have maxed out the SDHC standard. So the EVO won't be able to use a 64GB card.

Sent from an HTC Eris

Flat panel TVs are pretty common in Marriotts. Most have user connections for things like laptops or ipods. Should have no trouble connecting the EVO.

64GB SDHC cards already exist. Just not microSDHC. And yes, 32GB microSDHC are not even mainstream yet. I was pushing things just a bit. Will likely pick up a 32GB card when they become readily available through normal discount retail channels.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones