• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 80MB downloaded overnight. . . where is it!

Hi guys, phone downloaded 80mb of data over night over 3g (according to 3g watchdog) all of its own accord and the Network History (*#*#4636#*#*) is not any help as the phone was plugged in!

I really wish there was a better way to see which apps are using data, how much and when!

I ph33r it may be an evil plot by Vodafone to force downloads onto my phone to go over the FUP.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi guys, phone downloaded 80mb of data over night over 3g (according to 3g watchdog) all of its own accord and the Network History (*#*#4636#*#*) is not any help as the phone was plugged in!

I really wish there was a better way to see which apps are using data, how much and when!

I ph33r it may be an evil plot by Vodafone to force downloads onto my phone to go over the FUP.

Anyone have any suggestions?

When you say plugged in do you mean to the charger or to a computer.

Is there any possibility your computer used it as a modem (not even sure if the desire supports that?)

Upvote 0
Cheers but no, it was on an Mains charger . . . . . have looked again and am still none the wiser . . .

Werid, not sure then.

I wonder if someone knew the IP currently assigned to the device if they could send it traffic, presumably they'd also need to be on the same provider since most of them mass NAT their mobile subscribers.

After all the device will establish a TCP/IP connection for data services presumably and like with most things although the phone would most likely drop any unexpected incoming packets, they would have still got there to be dropped (thus using data)

It's a theory, and sadly I don't know enough about mobile data networks to know if it's indeed accurate it for all i kjnow any unsolicited connection attempt might get dropped at the GSN (or even before that) and never reach the device

Upvote 0
... or TrafficInfo.
But for both apps you need Android 2.2 on your phone.

Harry

Looked at both of these apps, great stuff, except they do not split 3g and wifi data . . .grrr...

Still nice apps

EDIT: Trafficstats seems a little better as it has a reset option. So when i switch wifi off at night i can reset the counters. Thanks guys.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones