1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

8GB phone with Lollipop running out of space

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by iammare, Feb 2, 2016.

1. iammare

iammare Lurker

I know the phone is small, I've got a 128GB SD card in it, that is pretty much empty. I would love to put some apps on there, such as Kindle, but can't - any suggestions?

I've got a few things on the sd card, images, music, but can't get apps on there to save my life. I don't really want to root the phone, but I can. Is there a way to extend the primary partition to include the SD card? That way, in essence, it's 1 big drive, and it wouldn't matter where anything was.

Any and all help!!! :)

Also, I just picked up a 2GB Nook that I'm going to root, toss in a sd card, and either turn it into a Kindle, or android tablet - just for the hell of it. :)

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

If you go into Settings > Apps > Downloaded and select an app is there a "move to sd" button (even if greyed out)? If so you should be able to partially move apps to SD (those where the button is not greyed out). If not then there is nothing you can do without root.

Marshmallow will let you incorporate the removable card so it acts like internal storage, but earlier versions do not.

zixxorb likes this.
  3. iammare

iammare Lurker

It's grayed out. I was wondering if there was a way to extend the partition if I rooted the phone... Marshmallow isn't available for my phone yet. I've got a ZTE Overture 2 from Cricket. :(

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Is it greyed out for all apps? This Froyo/Gingerbread style "move to SD" is only available if the app developer allows it, so some apps will not be moveable (since this option was deprecated in Android 4.0 it's more likely that more apps don't support it these days), but if the phone has the option you'd expect it to be available for some apps.

Simply extend the partition, no. But if you add a second partition to the SD card (usually best ext3 or ext4 format) there are ways to move apps to this: using an app called Link2SD is a common one (may require init.d support in your ROM to ensure that the partition is mounted on boot). Basically it involves creating alternative app folders on the partition, moving files over there and placing symbolic links in the internal storage pointing to the new locations. All of this requires root in order to do it.

I don't know this device at all though. We have a ZTE Overture root forum, but it's not been the most active part of the forum I'm afraid, so there may not be much information there.

5. rurocking

rurocking Newbie

I use this app with very good results.