• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

911 for your lock screen??

nuke777

Aug 3, 2010
is there a good app that will place 911 emergency call on ur lock screen??

lets face it, as cool and fun the touch screen device is, it is terrible in the case of emergency situation. first u have to wait 1 sec for the screen to unlock, then you have to unlock the animation, then u have to find the dial icon and by the time u will start dialing 911 u will be dialing it in hell or in heaven for some.

I would place a figure around 90-95% of 911 callers aren't calling for themselves. A dispatcher told us this week that a minor traffic accident on the interstate that runs through our city will generate between 30-40 911 calls from people while they are driving. Just an interesting fact. But nevertheless, you are looking for help, not a smartass right...LOL. Try widget locker. It allows you to place Widgets on your home screen. You could do a direct dial for 911 just like you could on a home screen. I personally have not used it but it gets recommended a lot when people ask about placing items on their lockscreen. Good luck!

Upvote 0
As a member of the emergency services I appreciate your thinking.

Worth noting though that when a call is placed there is the time taken to give the dispatcher the information, the time for them to record it on computer, the time to contact and relay it to a crew and the time it takes to arrive on scene. While your thinking is good the time needed to unlock your phone before dialling really makes very little difference.

Upvote 0
As a member of the emergency services I appreciate your thinking.

Worth noting though that when a call is placed there is the time taken to give the dispatcher the information, the time for them to record it on computer, the time to contact and relay it to a crew and the time it takes to arrive on scene. While your thinking is good the time needed to unlock your phone before dialling really makes very little difference.

I am not saying it out of a blue, the reason why I brought this is because my brother was mugged yesterday. theses two low lifes wanted to take his phone and when they couldn't they pulled out a gun, long story short he managed to get away for 20 miters, and started dialing 911 but in his panic he was struggling to ulock the phone and find the dial pad so he just pretended like he was calling and they got scared.

in an emergency situation it is trully every second is valuable.

Upvote 0
Phones are required (as best as I know) to have an emergency dial button on the lock screen that bypasses the lock screen. Mine does. Press a button and the dialer comes up immediately.

I can assure you that not many phones have that feature that you described, at least I know for fact my Samsung Vibrant does not have it.

Upvote 0
Phones are required (as best as I know) to have an emergency dial button on the lock screen that bypasses the lock screen. Mine does. Press a button and the dialer comes up immediately.

Its not a mandatory feature. My Nokia E63 nor my RAZR V3 had access to the dialer when they were locked. My Eris on the other hand, does. You just pull down the lock screen and the emergency button is right there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones