• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

$99 Sumas - 7 Inch Tablet PC SMT-708PAD

myk3916

Nov 28, 2011
i just bought this thing... trying to figure out how to root and flash clockwork mod... would like to run gingerbread...

7 Inch Tablet PC SMT-708PAD - Sumas Media

stock out of the box, gingerbreak doesnt work to root... next try is super-1-click ....

ill try to keep you updated... $99 @ frys.com

SMT-708PAD__29866_zoom.jpg

You need to the boot.img if you want to get a compatible version of CWM (as far as I'm aware). Once rooted, you can get that via a ROM Dump.

Good luck.

sweet... thanks for the help... i just spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to find the usb driver.... none exists...

z4root worked great.. its rooted now... trying to overclock.... wierd... wont let me... will try later...

i cant use adb unless i get a usb driver... would be nice.... im gonna check rom dump now, i dont think i can dump the rom unless i get a usb driver...

windows says..... "MID" ..... generic name for tablet...

Upvote 0
ok i got to rom dump....

i cant use adb.. but i have terminal open... i can manually chmod the file but how do i run it?

let me try to understand:

adb push romdump /data/local/ =(send romdump app to device)=

adb shell chmod 04755 /data/local/romdump =(set read write permissions )=

adb shell /data/local/romdump =(run ???? not sure)=

so... if i can move the file to the device, and i can chmod it, do i just run it using the 'sh' command like "sh romdump"

and just wait..??? for it to finish... if im not wrong... but if i am, how do i?

edit:
guess im wrong...

i copied file to sdcard, then moved it to the /data/local dir, then tried "sh romdump" says
" syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")" ) "

hmmm... stumped for a sec

Upvote 0
quick seccond.... found it:

*Method Two* - /Terminal/

You need to install a terminal application from the Android Market, I
recomend google's own, but as long as its free.

Once you have installed it, copy the downloaded install file to the root
of your sdcard, then launch your terminal application and type the
following commands:

cat /sdcard/install >/data/local/install
chmod 04755 /data/local/install
/data/local/install

Upvote 0
ok... so i appologize.... not trying to be sexually bias'd or discriminatory.. just using it as a slang term... sorry again...

besides the matter.... how can i get a recovery image on here... is there a specific recovery image that is more universal than others?? its not a phone, its just a pad.. (it does have a 3g thing thou, supposively can use it as a phone???) i really dont wanna brick my device...

is it firmware specific? or i really need to extract the boot sector first to modify it??? i really would like to get clockwork recoverymod on here, so i can flash roms and test if any of them will work....

any help? im kinda lost after the romdump thing, considering it worked and then didnt.... how can i pull recovery boot sector off and mod it? the stock system, probly doesnt have a recovery image... or it could....

i allready emailed the company asking in a easy tone, "what do i do if i need to re-install the os?" and "will this pad ever offer updates, mainly gingerbread..??" no reply yet... still waiting...

and i still need a damn usb driver... anyone know a generic one? i tried the GOOGLE_USB driver in the sdk..... nope... windows detects the device as "MID" ...

Upvote 0
hmmm funny... I was in school... just turned the device on... froze...

I called the company, they said I can't re-install android on it, the only option is to return it... sucks.. if adb worked I could flash it... the customer service Guy was friendly, but offered no help...

I then went on to explain I'm a developer and proceeded to give him tech advice...

good luck, mine didn't last 24 hours... if they send me a free one and pay me, Iould fix their stuff!!

I'm going to go get the Coby 2.3 gingerbread, hope it has USB drivers!!

I'm gonna return this.... lates

Upvote 0
hmmm funny... I was in school... just turned the device on... froze...

I called the company, they said I can't re-install android on it, the only option is to return it... sucks.. if adb worked I could flash it... the customer service Guy was friendly, but offered no help...

I then went on to explain I'm a developer and proceeded to give him tech advice...

good luck, mine didn't last 24 hours... if they send me a free one and pay me, Iould fix their stuff!!

I'm going to go get the Coby 2.3 gingerbread, hope it has USB drivers!!

I'm gonna return this.... lates

Hi,

Do you know if this thing is capacitive or resistive screen? I just bought a few of these before i open them, and risk the restocking fee i was trying to find out. I cant seem to find it online anywhere.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0
not sure whats the difference... in the screen...

i bought 2 of em...

i know that you kinda have to press hard... its not a glass screen... definitely not an ipad...

not sure if that helps... if you can describe the 2 maybe i can tell you...

the restock fee is 15%

i dont have them anymore, i have the coby kryos mid7012 now... but still monitor this forum...

im gonna try to contact the supplier and see if they will give me a job!

Upvote 0
not sure whats the difference... in the screen...

i bought 2 of em...

i know that you kinda have to press hard... its not a glass screen... definitely not an ipad...

not sure if that helps... if you can describe the 2 maybe i can tell you...

the restock fee is 15%

i dont have them anymore, i have the coby kryos mid7012 now... but still monitor this forum...

im gonna try to contact the supplier and see if they will give me a job!

hi i was wondering if you could give me some help on my sumas 708pad i rooted it and now it boots but home screen gos blank when i turn it on and help please

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones