• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A 4 inch flagshipandroid! Is that to much to ask for nowadays!?

Do u prefer a phone that is Compact (4") or Big (4.7"+)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anroid-Newbie

Aug 24, 2011
Before U all go jumping down my throat saying "get a iphone if u want a compact phone" I just want u to kno that in my opinion Android is way better than iphone. From its ability to customize your device more, to the option of having expandable memory, and removable battery.

I just dont agree with Android's "BIGGER IS BETTER" approach, Yes that may be true to some people. But what about the people who actually want a android, with almost all the features of GS4 or a Optimus G pro, that can actually fit in their pocket much less their hand!?
I know that a Galaxy has made mini versions of their GS4 and HTC has as well.
But I feel that is something all other manufacturers of Androids should consider when their making these phones. Not everyone wants a GIGANTIC phone!
I believe that when Android starts making more compact phones with all the bells and whistles to go along with it. There would be NO competition.

So my question is is having a compact Android to much to ask for right now?

just focusing on screen size is a mistake. you have to take the overall package into consideration. like the Moto X with its 4.7" screen is actually smaller then a lot of 4" phones from a couple years ago. we are starting to see some really compact frames with fairly large screens.

for me though I think a 5" edge to edge screen is about the largest i want to go and i sure wouldnt mind having some more options at the smaller size range as well.

Either way manufacturers know that there is a demand for smaller units which is why your seeing AT&T getting the HTC one mini soon and Verizon is supposedly getting the S4 mini and already has the Droid mini.

Upvote 0
I'm the opposite end of the spectrum: I want a GS4 with slideout keyboard. Either way, we're not seeing the choices I'd hoped to see but instead we have phones with a wood trim.

The 'mini' phones cut down on other specs besides screen size and sort of missing the point. Just because someone wants a small screen, so that it can actually fit, doesn't mean that person is cheap.

Upvote 0
I'm the opposite end of the spectrum: I want a GS4 with slideout keyboard. Either way, we're not seeing the choices I'd hoped to see but instead we have phones with a wood trim.

The 'mini' phones cut down on other specs besides screen size and sort of missing the point. Just because someone wants a small screen, so that it can actually fit, doesn't mean that person is cheap.

true but with smaller phones you get limited space to fit parts in. so sure you could get a quad core, Adreno 330 and a 1080p screen in a 4" phone but your battery life is going to be dismal.

the only really high speced 4" phones iv seen were from Xiamo but they had bodies the size of most 4.7-5" phones.

Upvote 0
just focusing on screen size is a mistake. you have to take the overall package into consideration. like the Moto X with its 4.7" screen is actually smaller then a lot of 4" phones from a couple years ago. we are starting to see some really compact frames with fairly large screens.

for me though I think a 5" edge to edge screen is about the largest i want to go and i sure wouldnt mind having some more options at the smaller size range as well.

Either way manufacturers know that there is a demand for smaller units which is why your seeing AT&T getting the HTC one mini soon and Verizon is supposedly getting the S4 mini and already has the Droid mini.

This. The screen sizes are bigger, but the phones themselves don't get too big. Take the Note line up. They are all fairly the same size, but the screens range from 5.0-5.7

My current 4 inch S3mini is smaller than my previous 4 inch Galaxy S. You have to look at actual phone dimensions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones