1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root A baby wrecked my calendar. Help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eldgog, Jun 27, 2011.

1. eldgog

eldgog Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Ok, so I was at a family event and my 16 monther stole my phone from my purse. He figured out how to do the slide-to-unlock about a month ago. He's well on his way in technology. Case and point, his cousin and he had a playtime with my phone and now, I am without a working calendar. This probably had something to do with the fact that he is due for shots in august sometime.

I tried replacing the apk and odex using root explorer from downloads online, installing them from other roms (I am using 2.2). I've even gone so far as placing them in the app folder and resetting the phone in hopes that somewhere these files would be picked up. I get a calendar, but not one capable of connecting to my google calendars, as most calendar apps require the stock app to lead them to these things. Maybe he deleted something else that is inhibiting this? I checked my list to this and see nothing amiss besides the bloaty metropcs things.

I've done a pretty thorough investigation on this and perhaps I missed something but any help would be great!

Thanks!

P.S. I did circumvent the possibility of this ever happening again by actually setting a real lock on my phone. :D

Advertisement

2. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Android Expert
    None

Sucks that they were able to delete system files. They can't be reinstalled using regular means. They have to be put back a certain way. Unfortunately I don't know the proper commands. Other alternative is to flash the stock ROM back onto the phone.

eldgog likes this.
  3. eldgog

eldgog Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Thanks, Darnell. I am pretty bummed about it and while a good bit of me wants to flash it to a new rom anyway, the other part of me is worried about it failing and having to devote time to learning and figuring out how to fix it if it does. This is very emotional for me! lol. But in all seriousness, folks, babies will wreck your stuff.

4. jabbawest

jabbawest Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Level III Support Dallas County
    Fountain of Lamneth
    See attached.
    You should have those calendar services.
    See Attached
    You should also have these calendar .apk's

If you are missing the Calendar.apk you could try a couple of methods to install it.
    1. Have a copy of Calendar.apk on your sdcard. Now use Root Explorer to navigate to the sd card and copy it to your clipboard.
    Then navigate to the root of your phone and go to system/app and then hit Mount R/W to change it to Mount R/O and paste Calendar.apk in there.
    Now tap Calendar.apk and select install.
    Reboot and see if things are back to normal.

2. Use ADB to install Calendar.apk. Here's a good tutorial on how to do that. Installing .apk from a PC using adb

Now it's time for the lecture.
    You should have installed recovery after rooting and created a NAND backup, then installed Titanium Backup Pro to give an extra layer of protection against these unexpected real life scenarios.

Attached Files:

eldgog likes this.
  5. eldgog

eldgog Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Thanks, Jabbawest. I tried all of that but the adb part. I guess I'm a bit nervous about working in terminals, I always have been, so I've been looking for a stock rom somewhere that I can gank the apks from and replace them through root explorer. no luck yet, but I haven't given up completely.

I do have the following, though:

Calendar.apk
    Calendar.odex
    CalendarProvider.apk
    CalendarProvider.odex
    CalendarWidget.apk
    CalendarWidget.odex

But the calendar.apk was taken from another rom and freezes when you try to add an event.

6. eldgog

eldgog Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    So, to whomever finds this thread and reads it, here's what happened.

I ended up upgrading to 2.2.1. And here's how it all went down.
    Backing up things with Titanium backup.
    Phone bricked and just gave me the LG screen. So I reworked it through Unbrick Your Optimus M Good thing to know here: Drag the DLL to the Reggie. You'll understand when you get there.

Then, I did this. Good thing for all you weird paper-keepers like me: check your initial invoice for your MIN. My husband and I have the same phone, our numbers are the same except his last digit is 6, and mine is 0. OUR MINs were VERY different. I spent two days without service and suddenly, the phone was picking up service, but no calls could be made. I was on the phone with Metro and was looking at my inital bill with the security codes and such written on it when I saw why I could not make calls: the MIN was wrong!

These are just a few things that I think I should include to let people learn from me. I'm an excellent example of a bad example.

So, many thanks to jabbawest and darnell0216 for all the help here.

7. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Android Expert
    None

Interesting. I'll have to update the thread with that tidbit. I don't even know where my paper from opening the account is but it's good to know that your phone's service is fixed to it's particular MIN.

Tags: