1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General A Barometer? What use could this have going forward?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tim K, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    OK, so the hardware specs include a barometer. What purpose could this possibly serve going forward? It measures air pressure....is there going to be an app to tell me its going to rain soon? I already have access to maps with doppler radar.

I just can't think of any other use. Maybe someone with more creativity out there can share some thoughts?

Advertisement

2. Jersey Tom

Jersey Tom Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    Huntersville, NC
    Beats me. As I say, I'd rather have a bigger battery than a barometer!

3. BigRedNole

BigRedNole Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 20, 2009
    Maybe it can detect the pressure about to come out of my arse and notify me to let me to make it a silent one or let it rip.

Overall, it sound useless to me.

4. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 4, 2010
    I use my phone for tracking vertical feet on mtn bike rides. I use My Tracks to do it. The issue is that the vertical feet reported is an estimation based on GPS data. Having a barometer would be pretty sweet for getting accurate altitude info. I could see the benefit for skiers as well.

callmeox likes this.
  5. callmeox

callmeox Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Paid geek
    NE Ahia
    If only life was a series of either or choices.

The barometer can be used to enhance the ability of the GPS to give you correct altitude readings.

6. Laxstar785

Laxstar785 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 4, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer
    Rhode Island
    you are making the assumption that removing the barometer would give space to increase battery size......as a mechanical engineer i can tell you that is an extremely dangerous thing to assume and I am willing to bet that is not the case. removing it would certainly open space up somewhere in the phone but might not be "useful" space that can be used to increase battery size.

7. Stigy

Stigy Some say...
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Male
  8. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    Yessir. Given the likely size of the barometer, and the strong likelihood that it was squeezed between chips of similar height, there's almost no chance that it intruded in any way on the battery space.

Here's an article by Gizmodo on the barometer:

Why the Barometer Is Android's New Trump Card

9. milan03

milan03 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    New York City
    For me it's gonna be useful to measure spectral efficiency of an LTE device under given weather conditions.
    I know, I'm a nerd...

10. likebutta

likebutta Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Some people who get constant headaches are affected by pressure, so it will be useful to them to know how their day is going to be.

jbdan likes this.
  11. Jersey Tom

Jersey Tom Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    Huntersville, NC
    Yeah I'm a MechEng as well. I don't care about space, I care about cost. I'd gladly give up the cost of integrating a barometer, and put that unit cost toward a bigger battery. Add a mm of thickness, fine by me.

12. craiger82

craiger82 Lurker
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Crazy thought. I was reading a few days ago about how police use acoustical estimation to be able to determine the exact location (10m accuracy) that gunshots are being fired. Is a barometer sensitive enough to notice those pressure variations?

Crowdsourced weather?

13. Bowen9284

Bowen9284 Member
    None

Could be useful for pilot's in non pressurized aircraft. At least as a backup altimeter.

14. Leondreux

Leondreux Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    Doesn't the iPhone have a metal-detector?

I believe I saw an app that used that feature or something.

15. Colchicine

Colchicine Android Expert
    None

I posted this on G+, so I copied it over to here:
    So the Galaxy Nexus phone was announced yesterday, and among many interesting things, it comes with a barometer. I've tried to think of practical applications to reading barometric pressure.
    I've come up with one and I wanted to advertise it here since it will probably make someone rich. I'll be able to say First!
    It's known that changing weather causes headaches, myself included. I'm guessing there will be an app that will log when you get headaches and compare it to recent barometric pressure readings. After learning what gives you a headache, it should be able to actually predict when you will get one and warn you accordingly.

16. VTarantino

VTarantino Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 6, 2011
    Magnetometer, which almost every Android phone has as well. It's necessary for the compass. It will only detect ferromagnetic metals.

17. samsong12

samsong12 Newbie
    None

Oct 17, 2011
    ince last night's announcement, there has been a lot of speculation surrounding the Galaxy Nexus. One of the most mysterious features of Samsung's latest Nexus device is its onboard barometer. Many have been questioning why Samsung would include a barometer in the Nexus' sleek chassis, citing possibilities from more accurate weather prediction to simple altitude detection (which is partially true).
    In a Google+ post today, Android Engineer Dan Morrill gave us the scoop on what the barometer is actually for, and it's more interesting than you might think.

Morrill explains that the barometer is actually intended to speed up GPS location, because "locking onto a GPS involves numerically solving a 4-dimensional set of linear equations - 3 dimensions in space, and time."
    That sounds a bit complicated, doesn't it?

Fortunately, Morrill broke it down further for readers, explaining that assisted GPS (aGPS) is popular because it gives a rough, city-level estimate of location. Including a barometer in this process speeds things up further, giving a "reasonable first-cut estimate for altitude" based on atmospheric pressure. Determining altitude quickly eliminates one of the three spatial dimensions of GPS location, and, when added to aGPS' 2-dimensional estimate, location can be determined much more efficiently.

Morrill admits that an onboard barometer could be used for weather prediction, but notes that the Galaxy Nexus' barometer may not be "weather grade."

So there you have it - there really isn't much mystery behind the barometer in the Galaxy Nexus. "It's worth noting," Morrill adds, "that the Xoom has a barometer too, so it's not a new thing."
    For Morrill's full explanation, check out his post on Google+.

Stigy and Colchicine like this.
  18. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    I agree, this was included first and foremost for GPS location. Since barometric pressure is far more sensitive to altitude changes then weather changes, use as an altimeter is the most logical reason.

19. Stigy

Stigy Some say...
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Male
    Faster GPS lock is always a good thing.

20. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Saint Inigoes, MD
    No. You would use a microphone for that.

21. BiggestManEver

None

Jul 7, 2010
    I do notice that my Xoom catches my GPS location much faster than my cell, even indoors.

The Barometer must really help.

22. whoster69

whoster69 Newbie
    None

Dec 22, 2009
    Ukiah, CA
  23. IcellPhones

IcellPhones Member
    None

Sep 17, 2010
    Sales
    NoVa - A-Town Southside
    Come on what else would a Bar-O-Meter be used for, but to judge the quality of your local establishments, in reference, to quality of drinks, price, clientel, food, etc... But seriously, the barometer as an example could be used to aquire more acurate weather reading within specific locations, for weather predictions, If you have a population with 1000 phones within a particular zipcode providing information you will be able to get more precise weather predictions.

24. abraham420

abraham420 Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2010
    I'm pretty sure it will be mainly used as an altimeter to help with GPS lock. It couldn't really be used for crowd sourced weather prediction since most people spend their time in pressure controlled buildings and cars.

I'd be more interested in seeing what novel uses people can come up with that utilize the barometer. I think the more sensors that can be crammed into these phones the better. I love that they have GPS, compass, accelermoter, 3-axis gyroscope, and now a barometer. This is the kind of tech that only used to be mulit-million dollar warheads.

Tags: