• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Better Camera from the PlayStore; anyone got it?

Hi again guys-

I'm being cautious about some of the noobiest :thinking: things, but I just had an app fool me into almost installing another- it looked like a system warning that said my storage was full and did I want to clear it up- the flashing was a bit much, and luckily I checked with File Manager first.

So... I am pretty sure I want A Better Camera, because it has TimeLapse, HDR, and a couple other nice things.

My question is about the two Almalence versions: Better Camera & Better Camera Unlocked. Both say -90% SALE.
A Better Camera is free, is rated 4.1 & has 'in-app purchases'; it requires In-app purchase info/location/Files/Camera/Mic/Wifi info.
A Better Camera Unlocked is rated 4.0 & costs 99¢; requires Location/Files/Camera/Mic/Wifi info.
(There is also a free Better Camera widget which seems to be a one click starter.)

Neither are rated as high as some others like Camera MX (4.3), but the reviews I read gave Better Camera top marks.

I read something when I first got my Droid about apps not giving up their permissions when uninstalled, so I'd prefer to not try every app out there. What I didn't get was how to remove those permissions for sure.

Are the Playstore ratings biased in favor of free apps? Is a .x difference a lot or nearly nothing?
There are things I can't learn without continuing the installation- like what does the -90% mean on a free app?
If there are 2 so similar apps, will I get problems if I try switching from one to the other.
Is the 'in-app' version going to sell me features? or other apps?

Thanks guys!

If you uninstall an app, by definition it is no longer using permissions - because the app is uninstalled and is not running. What may happen (I'm not sure) is if you reinstall the app, it will no longer list the required permissions (but I can't recall if that is true or not), since you've already consented to allowing them.

Pre-marshmallow, the way to revoke a permission is to uninstall an app.

As for the sale on the free app, it probably means that the in app purchases are discounted by 90%.

Reactions: CaptainSunset
Upvote 0
Thanks for your help, Doogald- it is mostly fun but still partly paranoia :eek:

When I first turned on my Turbo, there was a flurry of unexpected things happening all at once.
It took me a bit to get the hang of paging thru all of the screen messages while providing Verizon registration, picking passwords, etc.

While I was trying to delete some bloatware that was yammering for updates, I saw one screen message, prob'ly from Verizon, or perhaps Google, said something like NOTE: Be aware that apps may retain their permissions even if ... I thought the word was uninstalled, but it may have been disabled. The short message did not explain how to prevent it, and I assumed I could get back to it, but it hasn't reappeared.

I'm being verbose in case someone else is even further behind the curve than I am- this Droid makes my old Kyocera seem like tin cans & string!:)

Upvote 0
Thanks for experimenting, Thom.
More I think on it, it happened while I was unsuccessfully trying to uninstall excess Playstore & Verizon apps; I could only disable them.

btw, I did install A Better Camera and while a bit complex, it doesn't annoy and the HDR is very nice for indoor lighting too.

For outdoors, I am going to modify a Google Cardboard into a shade so I can see the dang screen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones