1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root A bit skeptical about rooting. Have a few questions...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by redraptor, Sep 13, 2011.

1. redraptor

redraptor Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    "Fish dude" at PetSmart, Best Buy Mobile Sales Ass
    Much too far from the waves
    Hey guys! Ok so I have a few questions regarding root and the possible risks. I owned a fascinate for about 6 months and was forced to root because of Verizon's and Samsung's lack of updates. It was easy, and really made the device significantly better. But alas the device itself was flawed and was able to get it replaced with an inc 2. Needless to say, I'm very happy. But I would like to take a little bit more advantage of the device. So here are a few of my questioms:

I am a bit skeptical though. The fascinate was very easy to root and then return back to stock if needed. Is the dinc 2 just as easy to root then revert back if there are any problems?

my main reasons for rooting is to have wireless tether to use in my new touchpad. Now I used the tether on my fascinate but that that was a good 4 months ago and I know Verizon was ramping up their security on free wireless tether. Is that really a concern or should I be safe to tether without big red coming down hard on me? Honestly its mainly for light browsing and watching a few videos. Not full on broadband support for my house.

and lastly, I really like stock sense but dont want the bloat ware...is there a way to keep sense and lose the bloatware? Or will, I have stock android(which I don't mind)?

oh and is sense 3.x available for use on this device...without any problems?

thanks in advance for all the help!

Advertisement

2. AliceBToklas

AliceBToklas Member
    None

May 11, 2011
    IT
    NC
    Read the first post in the thread.

There are various Sense 2 & 3 ROMS to choose from. I've run SkyRaider (2.1/3.0 hybrid) & Virtuous Unity (3.0) and both run just fine. Depending on the ROM the wireless tethering may already be built in. Otherwise you'll have to download on your PC and load via USB as it's blocked in the market if you are logged in and have a Verizon device.

3. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    EMT
    Minneapolis
    Barnacle is on the market, and and excellent wireless tether app, but I recommend pdanet for it's wired tethering. Fast as it gets, and free unless you need to access secure sites (https). Pdanet is not in the market, but you can google it or get the pdanet helper (instructions for getting it) from the market.

The ROMs out there for the DInc2 are pretty good including Virtuous Unity (sense 3.0), skyraider, as well as a couple other sense 3.0 ones. But if you want to you can just root, use titanium backup to freeze your bloatware and run stock for "minimal risk" root.
    If you do root and decide you want to flash a ROM, make sure you make a NAND backup of your stock setup first so you can come back to it if you need to.

4. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert
    None

PDANet has been back in the Market for a bit now. It has always worked well for me for wired tether.