• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A Chromecast that never worked: it does not reset and TV doesn't recognize it

apfr89

Lurker
Jul 26, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have a Chromecast bought in Nov/2013 that never worked. I was never able to used it. Ever.
I've found it today, while cleaning some wardrobes, and tried to make it work again.

My issue is:
- No TV at all recognise it. Ever. It always shows "no signal".
- It is impossible to reboot it since the only light that is showed is a solid white LED, no matter how long I hold the reset button.

I've already tried the Google Troubleshooting ("1. Power off your TV" method, "2. Use the HDMI extender provided with the Chromecast in a new HDMI port on the TV" method and "3. Test the Chromecast on another TV" method). And also I've tried to open and check if there's something wrong inside it, but I've found nothing.

Product: Chromecast (1st generation)
My TV (one of them): Samsung 51" Model PN51H4500AG

I'm trying on some forums before throwing it on the trash, and Google doesn't help at all.
If someone would help me, that would be highly appreciated! :)

Thanks.

Check your router's setup menu and confirm that your Chromecast is one of the devices connected to your home network. If not, you need to use the Google Home app on your phone or tablet to pair the Chromecast to your WiFi. It does sound like you've just been plugging it in and expecting it to work, but you do need to set it up first before that's possible.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Check your router's setup menu and confirm that your Chromecast is one of the devices connected to your home network. If not, you need to use the Google Home app on your phone or tablet to pair the Chromecast to your WiFi. It does sound like you've just been plugging it in and expecting it to work, but you do need to set it up first before that's possible.

It doesn't even appear on Google Home app, it says there's no devices near.

Upvote 0
Plug your Chromecast into your TV's HDMI port, power the Chromecast on (Plug in its power adapter or use an available USB port), and then press and hold down the little reset button for several seconds (half a minute) and then release the button. That should force reset the Chromecast and then follow the directions on the TV screen to pair the Chromecast up to your WiFi network.
https://dgit.com/how-to-reset-chromecast-52703/

Reactions: AMOCO and Dannydet
Upvote 0
Plug your Chromecast into your TV's HDMI port, power the Chromecast on (Plug in its power adapter or use an available USB port), and then press and hold down the little reset button for several seconds (half a minute) and then release the button. That should force reset the Chromecast and then follow the directions on the TV screen to pair the Chromecast up to your WiFi network.
https://dgit.com/how-to-reset-chromecast-52703/
It's not resetting either. Did you read my thread?

Upvote 0
At this point I'd just buy a new one as a replacement, something just doesn't seem right about it. The indicator should be red for a few seconds (as it boots itself up) when you first power it on, then change to white.
You can of course continue to spend more time and effort trying to resurrect your current one but for $35 it's still a cheap bargain for any kind of streaming content device.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones