1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

A complete noob and the Hero ROM update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wuthton, Sep 5, 2009.

1. trick202

trick202 Android Expert
    None

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    If you can get back to the standard home screen, try the process from scratch again.

Sounds like you may have made an error while copying files over to SD card?

Advertisement

2. gspcdman

gspcdman Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2009
    Good lad. Worked a treat. Just turned my nice new barebones Hero back on. :)

3. trick202

trick202 Android Expert
    None

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    Brilliant!

Have you changed your undies yet? ;)

So you are back to standard, or are you rooted?

4. dukeuk76

dukeuk76 Newbie
    None

rooted and flashed with custom rom.

cheers to the op!
    :)

5. ripkord

ripkord Member
    None

Aug 3, 2009
    Its amazing, I still have my iphone kicking around and was annoyed at how fluid it seemed compared to the Hero, now its flashed it kicks the iphone's ass!! AND I dont feel like one of the iTwats you see everywhere, tipulating!

6. wuthton

wuthton Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 18, 2009
    Yorkshire, UK
    48hrs from ROM upgrade, my experience

I thought I would share my thoughts on the differences I have seen in the phone other than the much discussed speed (which is awesome).

-Signal
    I have noticed an improvement in signal from 2/3 bars to consistent 3 bars, but I would like to expand on this opinion further down. I have installed the latest radio.

-WiFi
    I am sure the WiFi reception is improved. Before I could not get good reception in my Garden but now I can. This is excellent because my netbook has very poor reception outside, always had to use the laptop so I never expected the phone to manage but it does now. This is an observation and not tested with two phones side by side.

The WiFi tether that comes with upgrade is excellent, easy to use and for myself very useful as I regularly take my netbook away at weekends.

-Task Killer
    I have uninstalled it, no longer required as the phone runs perfectly well without it.

-Battery
    No discernible difference, but it is difficult to quantify because is varies so widely with the use of the phone.

-Youtube/Beebplayer picture
    I am sure the picture quality is better on 3G, before it was unwatchable but today it is not so bad. Again this would be best tested with two phones side by side, but I am sure.

Back to signal reception. My opinion is that pre-rom upgrade my Hero had equally as good reception as my previous nokias but it did show less bars on the screen. My office has very low signal which has never really been a problem as spend most of my time outside. Previously I have been able to receive/make calls but couldn't expect to have a full conversation without losing connection this was the same for the Hero as it was for the Nokias. If the Hero has bad reception it would have none in my office. Today I have made several phone calls in my office (without having to stand at the door as usual) with no trouble at all, this is a first. Now to clarify further, one of my colleagues has a nokia which outside shows 3/4 bars to the Hero's 3 and inside he does not get reliable reception.

7. trick202

trick202 Android Expert
    None

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    You beat me to it!
    I was going to do a 24 hour run down.

I echo your thoughts on all points. The phone is now as I hoped it would be as standard. I doesn't slow down at all, and no need for taskiller.

I'm happy with it, very happy.

8. wuthton

None

Aug 18, 2009
    Yorkshire, UK
    What are your thoughts on reception as I got the impression this was your reason to upgrade?

Also I think it would be helpful for everybody if people who consider themselves newbies and have gone through with this would post the expirences of the process and the results.

9. trick202

trick202 Android Expert
    None

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    I haven't missed a thing today, but I am impressed with one area you were so-so on: battery.

When I had my iPhone 3G, and I was out and about all day, I had to switch 3g off. This would mean that if I was using googlemaps, I would inevitably miss calls (they got bounced to VM more often than not).

I left everything on today (wi-fi, 3g, gps etc) used gmaps, games, sms, email, calls. The lot. Really tried to wear her down. I still have 30% battery left now - which I think is amazing. Even my Blackberry Curve wouldn't have that stamina.

Because I move around so much, I can't honestly comment on signal. All I can say is that I am happy with it's performance.

10. jason4656

jason4656 Newbie
    None

Sep 7, 2009
    hi guys, thanks for the forum, you have to love forums where u can get advise like this.

I am in the middle of doing my phone now, got it about 4 hrs ago lol.

Am i right in thinking that after i complete the first part /video that when I reboot, I need to select the backup - 5th line down and this will store my standard orange rom onto my sdcard that I have in?? So in any case, I can restore it?

After this, I plan to remove and keep safe the sdcard, I have another 8gb for using with the phone, is this an ok thing to do, or will i lose any functionality by removing this sdcard? ie is anything installed there thats needed.

I havent watched the 2nd video but i presume it involves downloading, putting onto sd and flashing the new rom, I would do this on the new card preferably

is this ok ? .....
    thx :)

11. jason4656

jason4656 Newbie
    None

Sep 7, 2009
    not to worry guys, i did it anyway, and it works fine for anyone else, just wondering how to get my contacts onto it now, as even with the new rom installed, its locked and asks for a code when i try to put my old sim in

12. dukeuk76

dukeuk76 Newbie
    None

My thoughts on the reception:

I dont think it has improved my reception by upgrading the rom, I still have the 2/3 bars i always had at home.

My thoughts on the updated rom:

Amazing, i can have multiple apps (google maps, sky map, walkie talkie, tv guide, market, browser) running in the background without any touch lag. The phone has improved by 100% and the camera is no longer a ball ache to take decent pictures.

If your still running a stock phone, upgrade now!!

13. wuthton

None

Aug 18, 2009
    Yorkshire, UK
    Another improvement I have noticed is with the calendar. Events that are deleted on the phone are now synced with Google cal.

Pre-upgrade I could create or edit events but not delete them off Google. From reading this was a common problem so I did not worry about it but now it is fixed I am very pleased.

14. ForestLaw

ForestLaw Newbie
    None

Aug 7, 2009
    I really want to upgrade as soon as possible. Before I delve into rooting and custom ROMs, can anyone tell me when the official upgrade is actually expected from HTC? I think I can only handle this lag a couple more days... :/

15. ndall

ndall Newbie
    None

Sep 6, 2009
    Which ROM are you guys using? The "official" leaked update or a Modaco custom version? You're making it hard to resist, but if I'm gonna get all this in the official HTC update I'm still tempted to wait.

16. trick202

trick202 Android Expert
    None

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    I would have preferred to wait too, but the lag got me down and I just thought I'd watch the vid tutorials "just to see".

Ended up taking the plunge - really glad I'm not STILL waiting for HTC!

17. wuthton

None

Aug 18, 2009
    Yorkshire, UK
    As soon as I found out that I wasn't just waiting for HTC to release the update, but then I had to wait for Orange to pass their version on I took the plunge.

I only rely on Orange when I am prepared to be let down.

18. trick202

trick202 Android Expert
    None

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    I can't quite get the thinking behind some of these carriers.
    You only have to look at the success of the iPhone to realise what an affect this has on O2.
    I was always told: work ON the business, not IN the business - and it's served me well.

In this case, I think they need to look after the likes of us a little better. We pay more for handsets, we're loyal, we use more data, and we have a voice!

19. mark1

mark1 Newbie
    None

Aug 24, 2009
    thinking of having a go at this rom myself ime on orange.is this the best rom to go for.

20. G8D

G8D Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 2, 2009
    What is this radio upgrade? Whats it do/for?

21. jason4656

jason4656 Newbie
    None

Sep 7, 2009
    mine has restarted twice today, I was using the tethering for wifi to connect my laptop and had the hero plugged into usb, but it seems the battery still went down?? is there not evenough v from the usb to charge when in use maybe? but i have done this with other phones before and had no problem. The phone was quite hot also, anyway, it restarted by itself twice, not sure why.

All in all I like it, my signal is still crap though it was better on the original orange rom

22. charliedanger

charliedanger Lurker
    None

Sep 9, 2009
    I'm up for giving this a go. But will I lose all my current text messages? I'm sure I read that there's a way of using HTC sync to back these up but I don't know that Outlook would know what to do with a load of SMS texts. Besides I don't use Outlook anymore since Google got pretty good at email and calendar.

23. G8D

G8D Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 2, 2009
    Is it just the IMG file you need? What about everything else in the zip file?

24. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    See my post in your other thread.

25. one_tjc

one_tjc Lurker
    None