• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A couple of Bluetooth observations

pastafarian

Pâtes avec votre foie
Nov 4, 2009
The Sea of Tranquility
A couple of bt observations for anyone interested.

As already documented, if you forget to turn off wifi you may have choppy audio and disconnect issues. What I found is that when I leave wifi on, my bluetooth disconnects at the exact same spots is various LIRR stations (Rockville center, Baldwin and Merrick) every time and audio breaks up in conjunction with on train announcements. I originally thought the issues were random, not so.

I was able to pair both my Evo and the wifes Epic with our aging Garmin 765t GPS (remove the # from the Garmins bt name), something I was never able to do with the Moment or Pre. You can transfer the phone book with the Evo, not so with the Epic. The Epic looses connection randomly while the Evo is rock solid stable. While investigating the Epic disconnects, I found a bt signal strength meter on the Garmin and it shows the Evo having about twice the signal strength of the Epic. Obviously, if the most important thing for you to do with your smartphone is pairing it with obsolete Garmin models for some very low fidelity handsfree goodness, you should choose the Evo over the Epic.

would you mind explaining further what you mean by the fact that wifi being turned on may give one choppy audio and disconnect issues..

in what scenarios?

In my research I found that more than a few other users have seen the same thing. If you leave wifi on, move from a connection and use bluetooth audio, you may experience choppy audio and disconnects. There's some evidence that suggests this started with 2.2, but I never owned a 2.1 Evo so I can't comment. I've even seen reference to the same problem with the Epic. Turning off wifi resolves the issue. If wifi is on and connected, bt will also work fine. I'm guessing here, but maybe it has to do with power being used for wifi when it's searching for a hot spot interfering with the bt connection? For me, I didn't see much of a problem till I got on a LIRR train when it became a bit obnoxious.

Upvote 0
indeed i have found a few posts on this...and have never experienced it. i have had bluetooth and wifi on with no adverse issues at all

and have, with wifi off, experienced random choppy audio (like 3 times since release)
I'm not convinced it is the wifi...but it seems to fix it for those that have the issue

i simply turn bluetooth off, and then on again, problem was gone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones