1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

A couple of questions about rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JM33, Jan 18, 2010.

1. JM33

JM33 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Maui, HI
    Hoping someone could help me out on a couple of questions about rooting my DROID.

First of all if I root, can I go back? I am well aware of the benefits of rooting the phone, but not so sure about the drawbacks. At this point I don't care about flashing a new ROM or anything like that, pretty basic stuff. However, this is my only phone, I don't have insurance on it, but I do have a warranty I would rather not void. At what point is my warranty void if I root, and can it be undone so that I could return the phone under warranty if I need to?

Second question is a bit more technical. I am developing a theme for a popular home screen replacement. After speaking with the dev he told me I could pull the apk from my phone and place it on the emulator. (I am aware that doing this could be considered piracy if I were to distribute the app, but for development its legal.) I need to check for errors on other versions of android, hence the need to have the app on the emulator so I can apply it.

When I try to pull the app with adb it gives me an error that I do not have permission. Would rooting give me the permission to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA

Oct 24, 2009
    Real Estate Agent
    M A dub'l dolla sign
    A quick search on here, or google, will give you alllllll the answers.