1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

A fast ROM/Kernel/SetCPU Set Up for those of you interested

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dahmwern, Aug 29, 2011.

1. dahmwern

dahmwern Newbie

Hey,

Alright, I've been toying around with ROM's and kernels for a bit now and I think I landed on a pretty good setup that has great performance and great battery life. So with that, here we go:

ROM: MikG 2.5 (Sense 2.1 + 3.0)
    Kernel: More Freedom v0.8.5
    SetCPU: OC'd to 1113Mhz and 128Mhz min, using the Smartass scaler. Its important NOT to have a screen off profile, it only slows things down. I've tried.

I'm also using LauncherPro.

Some info about the set up:

• Battery life: Currently, I'm on 9 hours, 16 minutes, and 18 seconds and I have 80% battery life left. I was just playing Angry Birds for like 30 minutes as well.
    • I will update this with maximum battery life stats, but yesterday I was over 16 hours with ~50% and that was with moderate to heavy use using GPS, etc.

Barats and Sarge1721 like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

with mik3d and evevolved sense 3.0 rom, the average was about 18hrs off charge. i had the more freedom .85 kernel as well. my setcpu settings was 245/1190 with the interactive x governor and a screen off profile of 128/245.

Barats likes this.
  3. i.have.droid

i.have.droid Android Enthusiast

How do you set up the governors? Is that seperate from SetCPu?

I have the Golden Monkey kernel.

4. ocnbrze

in the main menu there should be a drop down box for scaling where you can select your governor of your choice. i think right now the best option that is support by golden monkey is onedemand which is the default anyways. the other kernels offer more governors to choose from.

i.have.droid likes this.
  5. i.have.droid

i.have.droid Android Enthusiast

thanks, it was right in front of my face the whole time..haha.

With this new battery I try not to charge it over night and instead leave it power up between 40 and 60 % as much as possible. I have read that it may help with battery life.

I have said this before, but using the wifi really makes a huge difference as well.

6. Sarge1721

Sarge1721 Newbie

Copied your settings, I'll let you know how it works out for me. Thanks!!!:D

7. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert

X2

8. kimmied2000

kimmied2000 Newbie

@ocnbrze: I've flashed mik3d ROM and really liking it. But I'm a newb and you lost me when you said you had mik3d and evevolved sense 3.0 rom. Aren't they 2 different ROM's? I've looked at the kernals sticky and am ready to try a kernal to make things less laggy, but must have missed the directions on how to install (flash?) the kernal. I don't mean to hijack this thread, so if you need to move or delete or I need to start a new thread, please just let me know where to look for my answers. Thank you

9. joehornback

joehornback Well-Known Member

This is just the thread I am looking for. A couple days ago, I flashed Mik2.5 and am LOVING it! It's super fast! I'm using his stock kernel that came with it but I'm going to try the freedom one (Flashed kernel with CM7 so know how to do that)...

I bought setcpu and let it do it's thing. Once you run it, is that it? I mean is it always running in the background? Mik2.5 has a task manager and when I bring it up it doesn't show setcpu as currently running.

Scratch that, now the task manager DOES show setcpu as running. But same question, is that all I do? I want to get my biggest bang for my buck on this little cpu clocking proggie! :D

Also, which more freedom are you using, nightly, godmode, or universal?

10. esthernrob

esthernrob Android Enthusiast

that's it.... as ron popeil would say, "set it, and forget it..." once it is set it is active... i would leave "set on boot" unchecked until you know your settings are good... sometimes too high of an oc can cause lag, fc's, etc... don't want to have to reboot and have it do the same thing over and over...

mikem0269 likes this.
  11. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert

I believe nightly and godmode are for King roms Im running universal with mikg but i just downloaded it now

12. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert

If set on boot isnt checked do you have to open the ap to start it after a reboot?

13. esthernrob

esthernrob Android Enthusiast

yes, but run your setup under normal conditions, ie. web surfin', email, text, so on... for a few minutes... if the setup doesn't like your phone, you'll know right away.. if all's good, then check the start at boot... it doesn't take much time with setcpu to know if things are all good or not...

EDIT - forgot the l...

mikem0269 likes this.
  14. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert

Well i just had a force close when pluging into my computer on the option screen but i unpluged and repluged the usb and was fine the 2nd time

15. joehornback

joehornback Well-Known Member

Ok, got the kernel setup just like you do, can't wait to see what kind of battery life I get tomorrow. I already notice that this thing is flying even faster than it was with MikG's stock kernel!

OOOOOOhhhh I love the root!!!

16. geewhiz

geewhiz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the posts.

I had some concerns about bumping up to 2.5 after reading that some peeps weren't getting as good of battery life. I'll have to give it a try now. Freedom 0.85 has been great.

17. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

If your in an AOSP mood and want speed and awesomeness...
    Rom: CM7
    Kernel: Tiamat (4.0.6 SBC)
    SetCPU: UNDERCLOCKED! (128/960) (and 128/648 or something for when battery is HOT)

ADW and Go Launcher (trying it out) and this combo is pretty dang fast ;)

18. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert

Well so far my phone dont like the 128/1113 getting random force close
    ive changed to 245/1075 and trying that all other settings are the same as above. will report back at these settings.

19. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert

Well even with the lower settings my phone dont like it. wiped a couple times no better still getting force closes and errors on some apps. So im nandroiding back to gm1.1 May play more with it on the weekend.
    I must say Nandroid is my best friend.........LOL

20. cdadams1223

cdadams1223 Well-Known Member

Which More Freedom kernel did you use, i.e. nightly, Godmode, or universal?

21. lubberlick

lubberlick Well-Known Member

you should probably use Universal.

22. iMethod

iMethod Member

Rom: EViO 3 1.0
    Kernel: ChopSuey v.9.1
    Scripts: v6 supercharger/v8 preview scripts
    Custom scripts.
    SetCPU: Screen off (128/245)
    Charging ( 128/1190)
    Temp (122f > (128/652)
    If non not charging i use 128/648 for light use
    For heavy use (gaming) 652/1075

Linpack: SetCPU 998/998 - 39.57 MFLOPS
    SetCPU 1190/1190 - 44.72 MFLOPS

FPS: 28

Quadrant : 1512

Battery Life: Heavy - 10 hours 12 minutes
    Medium - 14 hours 32 minutes
    Light - 18 hours 57 minutes

Several other misc stuff was done to get this perfect for my taste.

23. 350zx6r

350zx6r Well-Known Member

hey sorry to hijack this thread but its kinda of related, whats the difference between the 3 options using this kernel? Stock, Less & More? Cant seem to find any info on it.

24. ocnbrze

what kernel are you talking about? is it the freedom rom? if so then it is more like havs kernels then anything else. they just a set range of voltages for each freguency you set in setcpu. read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/389360-kernels-dummies.html for more info on havs kernels.

25. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert

Rolling with Chop Suey 9.1 today. So far it seems about on par with Freedom...maybe a little more laggy for me? I need to give it another couple days and see how it goes. My phone doesn't seem to be very picky when it comes to the GB Sense kernels.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews