1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

A few Desire S questions.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by m_2010, May 21, 2011.

1. m_2010

m_2010 Lurker

Hi I have also posted this over on xda-developers forum so apologies for anyone who has also read it there.

I have just got a Desire S on a 24 month contract with Orange (UK), unbranded phone from Carphone Warehouse.

My old handset was an LG GT540, and when using the web browser on that phone as i typed in the address bar it would show search suggestions as i typed..

My Desire S doesnt seem to do this. Is this something that HTC removed, or can it be enabled in anyway? Does anyone else have this issue? Having never had a HTC phone before im not sure if this could be be something that HTC removed with their costomisation of android/sense etc...

Also. The price plan I am on includes 250MB or data per month..

My old LG phone was on pay as you go on o2, with 500MB of data and i never really used over 100MB in a month (was connected to wifi whenever i was at home).

So i just wanted to know if 250MB should be enough for this phone also. I will do most app downloads etc via wifi, and really will only use 3g/mobile data whenever I am out of the house.

I wont have many apps/widgets set to auto update adn sync, at most it would be the HTC weather widget, my google account obviously (contacts, calendar and mail) and possibly just facebook/twitter set to maybe update once an hour (Ive disabled syncing on the news and stock accounts). I do most web browsing eithe ron my home computer, or via wifi on my phone. So at most will do only an occasional bit of web briwsing via the data connection at most. Should 250MB a month be plenty for this kind of scenario, or does HTC/Sense phones tend to use a lot more data than a stock plain android build?

ONe last thing. I want to set up a HTCsense account (the one that lets you locate th ephone, and remotely lock/wipe the device etc..) This apparenyl syncs some things on the phone, does anyone know what exactly this DOES sync? and how heavy data usage this service is?

Apart from that I must say i absolutely LOVE this handset, especialyl when coming frmo the LG GT540 which is a low end android device and only runs android 2.1

Thanx for the help in advance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jimeller

jimeller Android Enthusiast

Probably cos its the Sense browser and not the Android(google) one. Just a thought, cant say for 100% though.

I'm not so sure. Depends on how much you have syncing etc. Check your apps for which ones sync and how often, then increase the times. Also uncheck the enable always on mobile data button found at >settings>wireless and networks>mobile networks

Also there are on/off settings in the notification dropdown for turning off data, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth etc. Very handy.

3. Desire HD Eli

Desire HD Eli Member

My old handset was an LG GT540, and when using the web browser on that phone as i typed in the address bar it would show search suggestions as i typed..

My Desire S doesnt seem to do this. Is this something that HTC removed, or can it be enabled in anyway? Does anyone else have this issue? Having never had a HTC phone before im not sure if this could be be something that HTC removed with their costomisation of android/sense etc...

The best way to get around this is to do any searching you may need to do via the internet icon on your apps list then search through google.

So i just wanted to know if 250MB should be enough for this phone also. I will do most app downloads etc via wifi, and really will only use 3g/mobile data whenever I am out of the house.

Like you I do alot of my internet based things via wifi at home. So we are in a very similar boat there.
    First of all you know roughly how much data you use.
    Look at the settings on the lg and see if there similar now to the htc. Like has been said before the best way to reduce data use is switching everything off but to me that defeats the whole object of having a smartphone. So reducing the amount things sync to maybe twice a day is a good idea.

If it helps I use my phone on a daily basis to check emails etc whilst out and about. My emials sync every 15 mins and iv never gone over 200mb in a month.

HTC Desire S Forum

The HTC Desire S release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1450mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews