1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

A few general questions before i root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andrewpm, Dec 23, 2011.

1. andrewpm

andrewpm Newbie

I would just like to ask a few things before I dive into rooting my EVO 4G.

Overall I'm pretty content w my EVO 4G and have been for the past 16 months, but there are a few main reasons why I want to root: tethering, free up storage/remove bloatware, increase battery life and performance.

I now have 2 Android WiFi tablets so internet on the go (if needed) would be nice on those rare occasions. Also I'd like to remove some useless apps (NASCAR, Peep, Nova, Blockbuster, Friendstream, Qik, etc...). The improved battery life is a no-brainer.

Does rooting screw up the ability to receive 4G? How about GPS/Navigation? How about my market account? What functions of the phone do I lose (if any)? I'm just trying to see if its worth the effort for my needs.

What mods or roms do you recommend?

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

No Rooting does not affect your ROM at all Rooting merely turns security off so you can write to the /boot and /system files. Make sure to read the dummies link in my sig before you try to root. It's the best guide on the Net. And No I didn't write it :D

Most people here like mikg

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. beastinbolts

beastinbolts Android Expert

I have herd in the past that you can lose your 4g keys after root. but never 1st hand and have not heard much lately about it. after root I would suggest making a back up off these keys alone so you know you always have them. asop roms require some tweaking to get GPS working but now the have gap zip files that will do the leg work for you and it also provisions your vmail.. very quick process

ocnbrze and MizzouBrent like this.
  4. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert

Glad to hear you're looking into rooting. To answer your questions, NO you do not lose any functionality by rooting your phone. You only gain functionality. I assume you are running the stock gingerbread rom at this point? If so, then you will need the Revolutionary tool to root. It is a fairly simple process. I would recommend the new version of Amon RA as your recovery. Revolutionary will put Clockworkmod as your recovery, but you can easily replace it with Amon RA, which is a better, more reliable recovery.

At that point, your first rooted rom should be MikG 3.0. Honestly, it's so good that it might as well be the ROM that HTC put as stock on these phones. It is so good that you'll never be able to go back to your stock ROM. There are other options out there, but my opinion is that this should be your starting point. I wouldn't even bother messing with kernels just yet. Just get your phone rooted and MikG installed and we can go from there.

And like beast says above, make a backup immediately after rooting just so you know you have one on hand. I have honestly never seen a report of anyone losing 4G keys due to rooting, but you definitely want to have backups around because you never know.

beastinbolts, dustwun77 and ocnbrze like this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews