1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support A few issues with my Evo.. speaker phone & music volume

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andrew9435, May 15, 2011.

1. andrew9435

andrew9435 Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2010
    I was hoping I would never have to post in this forum for an issue with my phone, but this one is kind of annoying.

The main issue I'm having is with my volume control when I have headphones plugged in. I play the music, and it plays so loudly that I can barely have the headphones in my ears. When I press up or down on the volume button, it shows that the media volume is changing, however the volume actually doesn't change.

I've tried rebooting the phone and messing with the settings, nothing will work.

The other issue I'm having is with the speaker phone. Every time I answer a call or make an outbound call, speakerphone automatically turns itself on. Again, I've tried rebooting the phone and flipping through the settings, but I wasn't able to find anything.

The speakerphone issue has gotten worse lately... every time I don't want to talk on speaker, I need to turn it off once the call starts. However, lately speakerphone will turn itself on and off when I'm on the call. I was sitting here watching my phone turn speakerphone off/on continuously.

I know people have seen the speakerphone issue before, but I haven't noticed any posts about the volume issue I'm having.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. Stepitup

None

May 11, 2011
    hardware issue, return it. Have you dropped it recently?

3. andrew9435

andrew9435 Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2010
    I haven't. Even if I did, I have this thick case on it that should protect it I would imagine.

*sigh* this is my 4th replacement Evo since I got the phone after it was released. I would really prefer to not have to send this back, especially after the poor customer service I get from Sprint.

Is there anything else I could try doing, other than a hard reset? If I have to return my phone, I'm paying the cancellation fees and switching to Verizon lol.

4. Stepitup

None

May 11, 2011
    If you turn down the volume and it won't go down then something on the hardware side isn't working properly. The speaker thing is probably a software thing. Did you try downloading a volume control panel like AudioManager to see if you can adjust the volume using that app. If it doesn't work then you do have a hardware problem.

5. andrew9435

andrew9435 Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2010
    Yep, AudioManager didn't do nothing.

I'm stuck here at work, so I was researching into it a little more. I found this: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...200604-evo4g-no-headphone-volume-control.html.

Nothing really helped me much in there, except for confirming I need a replacement.

I also noticed that if my phone is plugged into the charger, I'm able to adjust the volume with both the adjuster on the side, and from AudioManager. When I unplug the charger, it defaults back to the original volume level, which is too loud.

I'm gonna have some fun words with Sprint later... Verizon here I come!

6. Stepitup

None

May 11, 2011
    Well, you have to tell them not to give you a refurbished phones. I think if you are within a certain window Sprint should give you a new phone. Refurbished phones don't do to well. Especially when people return phones that have been dropped and rooted. Companies think they fix the phones but they don't. Demand a brand new phone if you are within a month or two of just purchasing your EVO.

7. andrew9435

andrew9435 Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah when I had to send in my Evo the first time, they sent me a brand new one. But of course.. all of those other phones gave me the same problem. It just so happened to be the one that worked was a refurb, with a bent ear piece and a screen that made a creaking noise everytime it's pressed on. Gotta love Sprint!

I'm confused.. your banned now? lol

8. dmtpoker

dmtpoker Lurker
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    I had been having the same problems as original poster in addition to a bad connection with my stock charger/micro usb cable that I always had to fiddle with to charge properly. I inspected my port and noticed the piece in the middle was in partial contact with the outside metal portion of the port. I took a paperclip and repositioned it to alleviation the apparent contact and my media volume with headphones/ speakerphone always initially on during calls seems to have been fixed. This may have corrected the "hardware" problem the phone was exhibiting. The phone does not seem to think it is mounted on a car mount any longer, maybe worth a try before replacement

9. rboylan

rboylan Lurker
    None

I have had the exact same two problems as of a few weeks ago.

1) Every time I answer or make a call, speakerphone automatically turns on.

2) I change the media volume up and down, but it always plays at one flat level. I tried this on Pandora and Youtube songs.

The last post saying that the "hardware problem" was the USB port had me inspect mine very closely. I noticed in the outer housing of the usb port, the metal looked cracked. However, there was no gap and the cracked housing looked to still be in contact with each others edges. Unfortunatel, cleaning the port with compressed air or fiddling with the metal housing did not fix either problem. Looks like if this is what's causing these two problems, I'll have to replace the phone. Since my insurance has a $100 deductible, I don't think its worth it since I will be eligible for an upgrade in a month.

If anyone has any other update on how to fix this, please reply to this post.

Tags: