1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support a few K9 mail questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tikigod19, Jun 7, 2011.

1. tikigod19

tikigod19 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    hi all, just trying to get around the various frustrations with the S2 after coming from iphone so have installed K9 as the default email app is rubbish.

I think I have it all up and running for my 3 accounts however every now and then it will tell me I have 1 email in a certain account (a 1 next to the email account name) but when i go in there there are no new ones. I can't seem to get the 1 to disappear.

I also notice that there is no 'badge' in iPhone terms on the k9 app on my home screen like there is with for example messaging when i receive a text. Is that a setting I'm missing?

Many thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. stevehy

stevehy Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    NJ, USA
    There are add ons for K9 to

3. martynstar

martynstar Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    Just wondering if your happy with the K9 app? does it do all you need/work ok!
    Im struggling to find a good email app!

4. stevehy

None

Apr 10, 2010
    NJ, USA
    It is clearly the best mail client I have ever used on Android. It can appear to be a bit overwhelming at first, but the effort to master it is worth it. Big support community surrounds this. Log on to the k9 site for more info.

5. tikigod19

May 26, 2011
    i think the issue I was having was that when I deleted a mail without reading it, it showed as a new mail but in the trash. (the same as it does on outlook)

any way people know of disabling this?

6. stevehy

None

Apr 10, 2010
    NJ, USA
  7. tikigod19

May 26, 2011
    i dont quite understand what you mean. I dont need the warning, the emails I'm deleting are junk so I dont want them, I just dont want them to show as new when in the trash

8. stevehy

None

Apr 10, 2010
    NJ, USA
    The only way to do this would be too mark as read before trashing. There is no other way.

9. tikigod19

May 26, 2011
    cool, will try to get into the habit. thanks steve

10. CapetoCairo

CapetoCairo Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    Steve,
    My apologies for jumping in here, but I have been searching for way too long this morning for a basic K-9 answer and see that you are a knowledgeable enthusiast.

I loaded K-9 last night on my Samsung Fascinate (Verizon) and boy does it solve some problems right away (like replying through gmail but displaying my work email address). I think I have K-9 set up pretty well. But here is a simple question. With K-9 up and running and "unifying" two accounts, do I need to keep the separate gmail, AOL and native android mail apps on the phone and running? Clearly, they are receiving emails, as well. Does K-9 depend upon them? Finally, I am synching my calendar and contacts through gmail, so I don't want to lose that functionality. This is a kind of basic, "how does all this magic work?" question.
    Thanks, Doug

11. stevehy

None

Apr 10, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I have k9 handle 4 accounts, both pop and imap. Turn off notifications in gmail so you do not get duplicate notifications. K9 is not dependant on the other programs to function, and has nothing to do with your calendars. I rarely use the gmail program as k9 does as good a job. Also.contacts have nothing to do with k9.

12. CapetoCairo

CapetoCairo Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    Your advice got me thinking about how to simplify the machine. First, with the stock Android email client, I basically neutered it by deleting all my accounts. (Open the stock email client, highlight the account, press and hold, and a menu pops up that allows you to delete the account.) Second, I went to the Gmail app, went deep into the account settings until I found "Data & Synchronization," and unchecked "Sync Gmail"---leaving Sync Contacts and Sync Calendar checked. Now, the only client that is pulling email is K-9, getting it from my Gmail and AOL accounts as set-up in K-9. Hopefully, this will save a little battery usage and there is no duplication or extra notices. At the same time, my contacts and calendars from my Gmail account are still syncing and available through the stock Android contacts and calendar apps.

13. tikigod19

May 26, 2011
    i think I hate email as a whole on this phone. Delivering me 4 day old emails, showing as 1 in one inbox but 0 in the unified. nothing makes sense and I'm so close to going back to the iphone just because of the awful way this handles mail