• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A few minutes of your time

Shabbypenguin

Extreme Android User
Mar 28, 2011
hey guys i wanted to touch on something, to spread the publicity of it. i hope that you can find the time to read this and help spread the word, even though this doesnt directly effect you.

Custom kernels are the idol of many android phones, its what allows devs to overclock and undervolt phones, giving much needed battery life and an extra push in power. it also allows for things like cyanogenmod and newer versions of android to be ported to a phone that has been considered "end of life" devices. the prevail is lucky enough that your kernel source is complete and will compile, sadly enough though we have no way to flash/apply it. however the samsung indulge doesnt even get that much, no instead samsung published an incomplete source. when questioned about it they proceeded to apologize and post a new one. great right?

wrong. the new source they put up was a 1 for 1 identical match with just a name change. now i imagine some of your are wondering who gives a crap right? if that is your mentality about open source then i beg you, leave android. go to a closed source platform like iOS or windows phone 7.. see how much can be done with devices then. android was built with open source in mind, to be able to evolve, adapt and become something greater. i know many of you use windows, but even yall can look outside the window and see taht without the linux kernel the computing world would be a whole lot more depressing.

i implore you to read this thread, retweet my tweets. let us be heard not as prevail owners or indulge owners or whatever other phone you may have, but instead as brothers, as android lovers. for while this doesnt directly effect you.. the flaps of a butterfly can cause tornadoes.. if we let samsung go by without so much as a glance from this then they are no better then moto/htc for locking their bootloaders..

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...amsung-violating-gpl-full-details-inside.html

Yep. I have no problem with Capitalism in general. Nothing wrong with making a buck and many times the invisible hand does end up doing good for everybody. Unfortunately, this can bring out some bad aspects of human nature including greed. Android is a concept as much as it is an operating system. A subset of the freedom concept inherited from Linux. It is best for us all that it stay open so that people all over the world can be brought together to share ideas openly and make it better together. This type of understanding and togetherness has benefits that no amount of money can quantify. With the problems facing the world today we need that type of cooperation more than ever. it ain't worth giving it up so some phone company can make a few more bucks.

Upvote 0
It's really sad how these huge ass corporations are getting more and more greedy. I know people have to make a living and all but do it within reasonable means and not get caught up in the cash. Cash isn't gonna buy you respect and doing the s*#% that they're doing right now isn't either! I really like the products Samsung have put out, but hearing about this is a big let down. IF anyone from Samsung is reading this please DO THE RIGHT THING and EARN my respect back for you guys.

Reposted that report from the link at the top on my FB wall and on my Google+ ;)

Upvote 0
This us just stupid on samsung's part. If people are easily able to develop for a phone it increases the value of that phone, maybe not monetarily but to the owner. I know that I, for one, won't be buying another phone until I see some strong development for it.

Things like shabby mod make a low end phone like the prevail actually usable and custom kernels can make them even more than just usable, they can make it something to be proud of owning.

A strong modding community for any phone can increase the longevity of a phone and make up for a company's shortfalls either in programming or support.

Upvote 0
This us just stupid on samsung's part. If people are easily able to develop for a phone it increases the value of that phone, maybe not monetarily but to the owner. I know that I, for one, won't be buying another phone until I see some strong development for it.

Things like shabby mod make a low end phone like the prevail actually usable and custom kernels can make them even more than just usable, they can make it something to be proud of owning.

A strong modding community for any phone can increase the longevity of a phone and make up for a company's shortfalls either in programming or support.
And therein lies the problem. These phones are not ment to last long time, the company would go out of business if they didnt create new phones and sell them every few months, or at least they want you to believe that.
Throw away cars, plates, spoons, cups, phones, you name it these company's want a disposable society. Upgrading or fixing software costs money and after you bought the phone you are unlikely to pay them any more... but if you can only get the upgraded software with a new phone well then they get more money.

Upvote 0
I did write the provided email and this was my response :

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us recently about Samsung's GPL violations. We
rely on reports like yours to learn about violations we need to
pursue, and we appreciate the time you took to write to us.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid there's not much that the FSF can do
directly in this specific case. We can only enforce the GPL in cases
where we hold copyright on the software involved. That doesn't seem
to be the case here; they're primarily violating the license on the
kernel Linux.

The gpl-violations.org project may be interested in this case. It's
headed up by Harald Welte, who holds the copyright to the netfilter in
Linux, and they've pursued violations like this in the past. You can
contact them at <license-violation@gpl-violations.org>.

Best regards,

--
Brett Smith
Licensing Compliance Engineer, Free Software Foundation

I will follow up with the updated information provided .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones