• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A few MOMENT surprises

The Samsung Moment does work with MACs. Here is how to do it.
Before you connect the phone to the mac with your USB cable, hit the Menu button, select settings, select Applications, select Development, and make sure the USB debugging box is checked. Now go back to the Home screen, and connect the phone to your mac with the USB cable.
At the top of your phone's Home screen you should see a USB cable connection icon. It looks kind of like a little tree with 3 branches. Put your finger on this icon and pull it down, and you will pull down a new screen. There will be a option on this screen to connect or mount through USB to your computer. If you select this, your computer will recognize the device.
Works great for me. I had to call our local Sprint store to tell them how to do it, because they had no idea it could be done. Go figure.

Traded my Hero for the Moment solely for the keyboard. A few things I learned quickly about the Moment that I wasn't aware of:

1) No LED for visual notifications. I miss that.
2) Not compatible with the Mac. You plug in the USB and it charges the phone...no mounting. Confirmed this with Sprint.
3) While the phone is very quick, there is a definite lag with typing on the hardware keyboard. I'm not a fast typist but it lagged by a letter almost always. If you look at the keyboard rather than what you are typing you are OK. I could adapt to this.
4) I thought the jiggle in the Pre was a bad until I met the Moment. The keyboard mechanism just seems too loose.
5) The joystick thing works great. I adapted immediately to it and really like it.
6) Screen is awesome.

I'd keep the phone if it weren't for the Mac incompatibility. That's a killer for me. Looks like I'm going back to the Hero and will deal with the soft keyboard. I thought about the Touch Pro2 but just can't go back To Windows Mobile.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones