• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

a few noob questions about the desire

bluntstick

Lurker
Sep 29, 2010
hi there all. very new to the forums, as you can tell by my post count.

before i begin, i just wanted to say i know from posting on other forums that sometimes a million noobs asking the same questions can be a major pain in the arse... so if there's already a thread out that answers my question, if someone could just link me to it, you'll hear no more of my idiocy.

basically, i'm in the market to upgrade from my htc magic. the spread at the moment is looking like either the iphone4 (i've always been a vocal critic of iphones, but i've heard somethings about the desire that make it unappealing, which i hope will be dispelled here), the new samsung galaxy s, and the htc desire. (please note all questions will relate to the desire) the ihpone's down point is that it's an iphone. the galaxy's down point is that there's no flash on the camera, something that, after the magic, i would really like. the desire seems to tick all of the boxes.

basically, my magic, while a huge upgrade from my ollllllld crapberry, hasn't impressed me all that much. i've had numerous issues with it, but i'm assuming that most of these will be fixed with the far newer version of android on the desire.

basically, every now and then, even after repairs, the phone will just freeze and restart itself. i'm a but iffy about getting another htc out of fear this might be a problem across the board. (i know that sounds stupid, but i'm buying this phone outright, not going on a plan of any sort, so i want to make sure my money will be spent well). i'm guessing this isn't the case, but any horror stories?

secondly, and again, this may very well be absurdly stupid, but how does multi tasking go on the desire (if at all, or is it something that will only come with 2.2?).

...i guess that's about it. again, i apologise in advance if these questions have already been answered or are just plain stupid. i'm a bit new to the whole smart phone game.

cheers in advance =)

basically, my magic, while a huge upgrade from my ollllllld crapberry, hasn't impressed me all that much. i've had numerous issues with it, but i'm assuming that most of these will be fixed with the far newer version of android on the desire.
My Desire has been rock solid, runs fast, works great, and is well made. I'm very happy with the phone and I'm coming from an iPhone.
any horror stories?
The only real problem I've read about is battery life. But for most the battery life is just fine. I compare it my iPhone 3G, and the Desire is doing more with a much faster processor, so again I'm quite happy.
how does multi tasking go on the desire (if at all, or is it something that will only come with 2.2?).
The Desire uses Android v2.1 (or the newer Froyo v2.2) and it multitasks very well. It's better at multitasking than the iPhone too with excellent memory management and no hiccups when talking on the phone and doing other tasks at the same time. This is how the iPhone should work, but doesn't.
:D

Upvote 0
Hi, desire is a great phone but I would hold out now for desire hd for one reason only. I internal memory will be better. If you can stomach a slightly bigger screen that's what I would get.

I would love to have svox voice on my desire but that takes up 32mb internal memory and that's all I have left after froyo and all my other apps.

You won't be disappointed with desire though as its a great phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones