• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A few noob questions pre-root

riverboat2001

Apr 29, 2010
UK
I have a HTC Desire that was originally from Vodafone, i recieved and used the official unlock code, then followed the guide to create and use a goldcard and run the stock RUU etc.
I therefore had myself an unlocked/debranded Desire.
I was one of the ones that lost wifi on the latest update, and had to mess about getting it sorted. This is what makes me think rooting is the way to go for a safer update.

So this lead me onto my questions,
I have found and plan to use the one click rooting guide and tool from unrevoked, and i sort of uderstand what i'm doing, i but i'm wondering if my previous debranding using the goldcard method will stop the one click method from working.

Also when people put in warnings about different radios, are they talking about wifi or actual fm radios?

I'm also confused by all the different ROM's available. I'd like apps to SD card but after that i'm lost.

Also it seems i have to create and format diiferent partitions on my phone, is this just for the rooting procedure, or do they stay on there?

Some terms are confusing as well, nandroid/busybox/dalvik-cache/A2SD/A2SD+/MCR r5
Wow, we need a glossary....!

I have a HTC Desire that was originally from Vodafone, i recieved and used the official unlock code, then followed the guide to create and use a goldcard and run the stock RUU etc.
I therefore had myself an unlocked/debranded Desire.
I was one of the ones that lost wifi on the latest update, and had to mess about getting it sorted. This is what makes me think rooting is the way to go for a safer update.

So this lead me onto my questions,
I have found and plan to use the one click rooting guide and tool from unrevoked, and i sort of uderstand what i'm doing, i but i'm wondering if my previous debranding using the goldcard method will stop the one click method from working.

Also when people put in warnings about different radios, are they talking about wifi or actual fm radios?

I'm also confused by all the different ROM's available. I'd like apps to SD card but after that i'm lost.

Also it seems i have to create and format diiferent partitions on my phone, is this just for the rooting procedure, or do they stay on there?

Some terms are confusing as well, nandroid/busybox/dalvik-cache/A2SD/A2SD+/MCR r5
Wow, we need a glossary....!

You can root your phone after debranding the goldcard way, i did with an orange branded handset.

The one click method is the easiest to do.

The radios i think are to do with the transmissions from the phone, there is some link to the wifi as it can stop wifi from working in certain circumstances.

All the roms got their plus points, i personally use the neophyte rom
& i also use an app called mod install location to ensure the apps are installed to sd.

The partition is required for app2sd+, rom manager is ideal for partitioning the card.

Upvote 0
anoniemouse

Where did you get rom manager from?
is there anyway to format the sd card correctly from within indows?

I'm following the guide on this page [HOWTO] Root Your HTC Desire in One Click! | Root My Droid
Could you have a look at this guide for me? as i'm confused about the bit about the Amon Ra Recovery (no 8)

Once i run the reflash.exe is that my phone rooted? and then i just stick the custom rom in the root of the sd card and use titanium backup to wipe phone and run the rom zip file?

Otherwise could you point me to a more straight forward guide that doesn't involve trawliing through pages and pages of posts?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Upvote 0
anoniemouse

Where did you get rom manager from?
is there anyway to format the sd card correctly from within indows?

I'm following the guide on this page [HOWTO] Root Your HTC Desire in One Click! | Root My Droid
Could you have a look at this guide for me? as i'm confused about the bit about the Amon Ra Recovery (no 8)

Once i run the reflash.exe is that my phone rooted? and then i just stick the custom rom in the root of the sd card and use titanium backup to wipe phone and run the rom zip file?

Otherwise could you point me to a more straight forward guide that doesn't involve trawliing through pages and pages of posts?

Thanks for all the help so far.

you can format the card within windows, either with a card reader or by having the phone set as a disk drive.

Follow the guide on this site, its the one we have all used that have used the one click method.
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-desire/124085-rooting-tool-one-click-program.html

The reflash is the part that roots the phone as you will see in the above link.

rom manager is available on the market for free once you have rooted.

Don't worry about amon ra recovery at the moment.

Once you have rooted run the nandroid back up option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones