1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

A few noob questions

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by bennylava, May 6, 2012.

1. bennylava

bennylava Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Got a few noob questions. Guess I'll number em.

1. Why is there like 50 different "versions" of my phone? People on youtube keep calling it the "Captivate" even when they flip it over and it says "Galaxy S" on the back. Then you have another "Galaxy S" which you can tell by looking at the outside that its a different model. Its silvery and round instead of black and square. Why all the confusing name swapping?

2. On my Samsung Galaxy S model SGH-I897 (AKA the "captivate" for some strange reason) I am having Wifi troubles. I can't seem to turn wifi on. When I try, it just scans for networks for about 5 seconds, and then turns Wifi off. All on its own. No error message or anything. This is when I'm within 3 feet of my home router. Or anywhere else that I'm sure there is an abundance of Wifi hotspots. So its the phone, its not that there aren't any networks in range. I tried both routes to turning on wifi. With the drag down bar, and going through "settings". This is after I updated to gingerbread and rooted the phone. Same thing is happpening on my wife's phone. Same phone running gingerbread as well.

3. How can I transfer all the phone numbers that are saved on my SD card, to my AT&T simcard? Android doesn't seem to be very good at all at helping you differentiate between storage devices. Unlike windows, I've never had android ask me where I want to save something. From what I can tell it simply slaps something new wherever it dam well pleases. I'd like to be able to pick where I want ANYTHING saved. Any time that ANY new piece of data comes to the phone, I'd like to be asked where I want to save it. On top of that, half the time you can't choose to just check the SD card for something you're looking for. I'll be going through a menu or something, and I'll know that something is saved on the SD card. But if its not in the default phone storage, well, then I guess you're out of luck Benny. That is pretty much the response I feel like I get. Any help for all these woes?

Advertisement

2. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!
    None

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    The reason why there's different versions of your phone depends on what carrier it's on.
    For example: Samsung Galaxy S2 (AT&T) Mytouch 4G (Sprints GS2) Are to name a few.
    Have you put in your MAC address on your device? Is Airplane mode on? Do you have networks on? Maybe it has something to do with the root.
    If you go to contacts and hit menu you should see an option to Import/Export contacts to SD card to your SIM.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

1. Its because in North America, carriers all name their phone different (Captivate, Epic, etc) and at times request that theirs look different. Outside NA, a Galaxy S, is a Galaxy S and looks the same, except for colors.

2. Try a reboot?

3. Depends on the phone's settings. In contacts, press menu>settings>save new contacts to. Its usually set to Google, so your contacts will sync to Google servers to have it backed up. I personally don't like saving contacts to SIM cards, as they are very limited. A contact saved to SIM card will only accept a name, number and email. A contact saved to phone or Google will accept linking to Facebook or Twitter accounts, have a contact picture, accept postal addresses, birthdays, etc.

4. bennylava

None

Aug 20, 2011
    Ok I verified all the rest are ok, except for the MAC address. I'm afraid I'm not sure how to check it or even what the address is supposed to be. My carrier is ATT.

Ok thanks for the info. But when I tried, I got an error message that said:

"Scanning SD card failed (Reason: No Vcard file found on the SD card)"

5. Metroid Prime

None

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    The MAC address is kinda like a code that gives the okay for a device to connect to your router. You should find it in your settings about your device. Once you put it in your routers MAC address in and your tablets in then you should connect to WIFi.
    You could also just use your Mobile network also and should find it in settings> Wireless & networks and should see an option for mobile network. This will use your data if you're on a data plan so use it wisely, or unless you are on the unlimited plan.
    As for the SD card I am not sure about that and I apologize.

6. bennylava

None

Aug 20, 2011
    Ok thank you sir. On my phone under Wifi MAC address it says "Unavailable". I found it where you said it was but it just says unavailable. Odd.

7. Metroid Prime

None

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    Have you looked and see if you can use your Mobile network?

8. bennylava

None

Aug 20, 2011
    You mean go to Settings>Wireless and Network>Mobile Networks> and then check "Use packet Data"? If so, I already have that box checked as well.

9. Metroid Prime

None

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    No, you should see a box that says Mobile network and check it. You can also slide the notification bar down and go to quick settings and check the mobile network box.

10. bennylava

None

Aug 20, 2011
    Oh you are talking about actually just turning wifi on? When I do that it just scans for a few seconds and then turns it off all on its own.

11. Metroid Prime

None

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    I think that's because it can't find a WIFI spot to access. I meant using your data network to connect to the internet with.

12. bennylava

None

Aug 20, 2011
    Yeah the 3G connection works fine. I'd just like to be able to use wifi. None of this started happening until I updated to 2.3.5 via samsung Kies

13. Metroid Prime

None

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    You'll have to get your MAC address of your router on your PC and put it in on your tablet. Did you have this sort of problem before the update?

14. bennylava

None

Aug 20, 2011
    No I did not have this trouble before the update. I did change my DNS server to OpenDNS in my router though.

15. Metroid Prime

None

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    And your still not able to connect to WIFI?

16. bennylava

None

Aug 20, 2011
    No I still can't connect. I never figured out how you manually enter your mac address into the phone. When I check the mac address in the phone, it says "Unavailable".