• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root a few problems with some apps and function since installing froyd1.5

adz63

Android Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2010
Berkshire, England
ok i had weatherbug and i had to reboot phone now widget says it cant load so i removed from homescreen and then went to put it back on but all the widgets ie 2x1 2x2 etc are missing

also i have created a play list and loads of songs are mising when i press play on home screen widget i scroll through and some of them are just simply not there , i have checked to make sure that i saved playlist and i have deleted playlist and added and saved again ... all songs are the same format mp3

yes almost everything i install now , if i add music via usb or if i turn phone off n on , when it reboots the widgets that i have for the things i have downloaded say not able to load and when i go to add them again press menu >add> widgets they have totally gone from there and the only thing left is the application and not the widgets and lots of programs always come up with program not responding force close or wait , i click wait and they dont load so have to force close

Upvote 0
Right well adding to the subject, i have noticed a few things.
i installed the 653 boot kernel (i dont know if its due to this) and every now and then the phone for no reason just reboots on its own.

I dont think its from the kernel because its really not that much of a jump in cpu speed...

Also i noticed that when calling out from my contacts list it sometimes doesnt dial the number correctly....i look on the screen and its got a little symbol i think its a small zero or o, anyways it skrews up the call and i hear the typcical recording that the call cant go through dialed like that or some crap.

i will try a few more times and then it will work or i have to just manually dial the number.

Also im very new to rooting and loading custom Roms, but i noticed that it doesnt keep alot of virtual memory...like before i rooted and loaded froyd when i would hit the kill task button from a app killer it would leave me with about 100mb of memory.
with froyd i kill apps and it leaves me with like 80 and some times less.

and now im not sure what to do because people are saying that the 2.2 build doesnt need app killers because it does something with prioritizing the memory.

again im new to this, still wrapping my head around all the stuff that comes with rooting and custom roms.

has anyone else noticed any paculiar behavior like that?

Upvote 0
I can't help with the Froyd-specific issues, but I know that 2.2 introduced fundamental changes to Android's memory management, and I believe third-party apps are also restricted in how they "kill" other running processes.

In any case, free memory isn't necessarily a good thing. The kernel already contains sophisticated process scheduling to work out what needs to remain in RAM for instant access, what can be swapped to cache "just in case" and what can be terminated as no longer necessary. Remember, this isn't Windows we're working with.... Android is designed from the ground up for memory-restricted 'always-on' devices. ;)

Reactions: jared1234
Upvote 0
This may or may not be the cause of your problem, but whenever i install a new version of froyd, i get weird bugs and random lockups (requiring battery removal to reboot) until i remember that my particular hero doesnt like default CPU speed settings.

Try increasing the minimum CPU speed setting, see if that helps.

Upvote 0
well i looked into it, actually all of it (froyd 1.5 bugs) and apparently the majority of people running froyd 1.5 are having the same problems.
Infact one of the dev team members posted a few things saying that they are now aware of the problems and are working hard to resolve them.

There is alot of speculation it seems, that it might have something to do with the "CPU settings" app.

But no one knows for sure what is the correct settings to solve or at least subside the problem.

Since im still new to rooting i am clueless on how all the settings work exactly so i just kinda copy what people are trying.

In any case, they are very aware of the large amount of bugs being discovered and are working on them.

I have a feeling that from what the devs were saying about this release that they will address these issues but will release the fixes in the final 2.0 release of Froyd. =(

p.s.
What do you guys have your CPU settings at?

Upvote 0
Suggest 352-576 if you want to be absolutely sure that any instability is due to the rom and not the hardware being pushed past its limits. Check if it's stable at those speeds and if so then start to increase from there.

Mine regularly locks up at 123 and 176. Thought it was stable at 246, but i still get odd glitches (e.g. occasionally when i wake the phone up the screen immediately turns off again and becomes unresponsive for about 5-10 seconds).

Once i gave up and set to 352 minimum the phone became rock solid. Personally i'd rather have stability than an extra 30mins battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones