1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root A Few Questions About Custom Kernals for the Triumph

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by klamkhowder, May 2, 2012.

1. klamkhowder

klamkhowder Newbie
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Washington State
    Ok, so i understand that there are several custom kernals for several different Android versions, obviously asking "which kernal is best for x Rom" is a gross oversimplification. Therefore my question is this, what do some of the more advanced features listed in these kernals do and what exactly sets them apart from each other.

For example if I were choosing between bkernal, mock and whykernal for Cm7 what differentiates these kernals from each other, how do the different devs approach making custom kernals and why would i choose one over the other? Also I understand that Whykernal is probably no longer under development but do Mantera and b_randon collaborate and share the changes they make with each other; and if so are the differences between their kernals simply which one is updated more recently?

To elaborate on the other part of my question, what do some of the more advanced features do? for example when I google JHASH v3 or fastFPE (features listed in b_randons Kernal) lord google does not give me a coherent response. I can understand if they are complicated parts of Linux code that would be hard to explain in which case please just ignore this question. :pcguru:

One last question (are you sick of my questions yet?) in the honorable opinion of some devs (or people who have tested all of the options) what would be more effective for the Triumph at this point in time? an optimized 2.2 Rom running b_randons kernal or a rom like g60madman's cm7? at this point where both have very customized kernals is the difference more in the settings/eyecandy department or is there a significant difference in performance/features department that would make a person choose one over the other?

Sorry about my giant wall of text :eek:, feel free to call me a noob or direct me to some posts i have proabably missed or delete my post, I've just been wondering about these things for a while. :thinking:

Before anyone answers I would just like to take a small bit of this post to thank the devs past and present who are working on this phone. You are all wonderful people. :adore:

Advertisement

2. b_randon14

b_randon14 Android Expert
    None

Aug 13, 2011
    Pizza Delivery Driver
    Somerset, KY
    I run my ROM and kernel, but its mainly cause I love my theme because I made it specifically how I like it. Every kernel available for the Triumph is a good kernel. We all collaborate back and forth on them. Some just leave features out and some add more in. For example, we all use the exact same Overclock code, and I have pulled in many of manteras changes. Just recently I patched the kernel fro 2.6.32.9 to 2.6.32.59, which features many updates to the base linux kernel code. If you look at our githubs you can view the changes we have made to the kernel code.

As for CM7, manteras kernel is the most up to date, because I haen;t got my cm7 kernel up-to-date with my FroYo kernel. For FroYo it's either mine or manteras kernel, and I just updated mine quite a bit earlier today.

Stuff like Fast(Floating Point Emulation) changes the way the kernel handles the code sent to and from the cpu. JHASH v3 is an updated version of JHASH which is a set of functions that is used throughout the kernel. Of course JHASH 3 is more efficient than JHASH v2. Googleing can be your friend, but I can't even pretend to know all of whats going on inside the linux kernel. I am starting a school career in computer engineering, but at my knowledge level, its still way over my head.

klamkhowder likes this.
  3. dsmryder

dsmryder Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2011
    mechanic
    NE Florida
    Well to answer from my N00Bish point of view, the best thing to do would be to read the change logs. Most of the changes come from collaboration. One thing you should understand is that they have different directions they want to go in. g60madman is trying to continue from where Whyzor left off. mantera has been working on ICS a lot. b_random is looking into cm7, may even release his own ROM of it, though it will most likely be based off of the work leading up to g60's. Oh, his kernel seems to be out of date. (see the change log)
    If you go to the DEV's githubs you can look at the history for the changes. It can be cryptic, especially if you don't know code. But, you can alt least read the comments left and look at the points where the changes were made.
    I'm sorry I couldn't quite answer your questions, but like you said (sort of) the question is too simple for a simple answer.

Some one can correct me, but I think that FastFPE is for a floating point unit emulator. It's to do math with decimals. I don't know what JHASH v3 is for. I think it's for the internal compiler.

klamkhowder likes this.