1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support A Few Questions About Potential Problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zaifiz, Mar 27, 2011.

1. zaifiz

zaifiz Lurker
    None

Mar 27, 2011
    Hello All!

I just want to start off by saying that I'm a brand new Android owner as of two days ago when I picked up the Thunderbolt, and it is by far the best phone I've ever owned (so far). After two days of use, I'm noticing a few things that could be problems, and I decided to come here to find out if anybody knows anything that could help me. I'm only 17, and I don't seem to be as educated as everybody else on this site on Android information, so please don't come down on me if I'm asking stupid things :p

So first of all, I've read a decent amount of posts on the volume with video playback being really low, and my Bolt is no different. When I play back videos that I've recorded the volume is so low that i have to turn the screen away from me and put the speaker up to my ears to hear anything. Does anybody here know anything about a potential fix? Or are all of us that are affected going to be stuck with this issue until we move on to something else?

My second question has to do with using the internet, and whether it uses the 3G in my area or the Wifi. It seems that my phone won't let me use the internet with 3G while a Wifi network is available to use. Although this seems like a good thing, today as I was in the car with my father driving down the road, I was using 3G and a website was loading, when suddenly it stopped dead and gave me the message, "This application requires network access. Enable mobile network or Wi-Fi to download data," because the Wifi suddenly picked up a network. It gives me the option to go to settings or cancel and when I go to settings the Mobile Network says it's "Turning On.." But, when I hit cancel and go to the settings through the menu, it says, "Use phone for data connection when Wi-Fi is unavailable." So when I'm driving down the street with Wifi on and it suddenly picks up a connection, it stops my internet dead in it's tracks and doesn't let me use the 3G. If I don't know the password to the network I literally can't use the internet at all, until I'm out of that Wifi connection's range. If I turn the Wifi off while in range, I still get the same message about my application requiring network access. The 3G should still be on right? Not "Turning on.." Why is it forcing me to use Wifi if I don't necessarily want to? At my house, yes I'd love to take advantage of the Wifi that we pay for, but not when I'm driving by somebody else's house, trying to use 3G. And if I've never turned my Mobile Network off, why is it "Turning on.." I really don't want to make sure I'm out of range of all Wifi networks if I'm in a car or something to make sure I can have uninterrupted internet usage with the 3G connection, so what's going on?

I'm sorry for making such a long post, all blocked together as one paragraph, but I was just rambling on about the problem. Hopefully I didn't just make a fool of myself. Anyway, if anybody can help or tell me what's going on, it would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. angeleyes0228

angeleyes0228 Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    I have been having the same problems with my new thunderbolt and I am very frustrated. I have also had problems with the internet... I have 4G and it has been going in and out since the second day I had the phone. The internet should work no matter where you are from your mobile network, 4G should drop to 3G and so forth correct? I am about to take my phone back to verizon and do some heavy complaining. I paid way too much for this phone and per month to be having these problems with this phone. I had none of these issues with my Droid that I had before I got this phone. If anyone has answers it would be great to know.

3. rogue_slc_vzw_rep

rogue_slc_vzw_rep Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Both of your problems with data connectivity will be fixed with a master reset. If they are not resolved with a master reset then you need to talk to tech support and have a ticket opened.

bulldogmoe7 likes this.
  4. skinien

skinien Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    HTC has acknowledged the volume issue when recording video. The article I read points to an issue with the noise cancelling microphone (the phone has two microphones). Hopefully, a fix is on the way.

With regards to the data issues. I've been in areas where wifi signals are available but I do not connect and I still have data access. I also have the "notify me when a network is available" option disabled. I don't think that would make a difference though.

5. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    Haven't experienced the WiFi issue yet, but I live pretty rural, so there aren't many to drive by. However, in the past, on my other phones, I always used to just have the wifi off anyway, unless I was somewhere where I wanted to use it (on purpose). That way, it was never scanning in the background (theoretically saving battery, who knows..). Could be a temp solution in the meantime.

6. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Burbs of Chicago
    Your wifi issue is odd. There should be no issue using 3g/4g when in range of a wifi network...I do it all the time. If it is a wifi network that you've used and the phone remembers it, it will automatically connect to that network. Could this be the issue? Have you tried to connect to said networks, been unable to, and now the phone is attempting to connect when in range? Check your wifi settings and see what networks it has remembered. If so, delete them. If this is not the case, I'm not sure. I usually keep my wifi off anyways, unless I want to use it.