1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root a few questions before i attempt to flash viciousMIUI..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by goingdead, Dec 8, 2011.

1. goingdead

goingdead Member
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    haven't visited the forum in a while, and i was ecstatic to see that there are some ICS things ready for the TB :D

anyways, ive been searching up forums and threads and still haven't found good answers for these questions:

what kind of radio is required for the latest update (i'm using the radio from GB 2.10.605.1, 1.48.00.0726w_2, 0.01.78.0802w_3, will it suffice?)?
    is a kernel recommended for it (not familiar at all with kernels, their uses, or installing them, so i hope the answer is no lol)?
    do you think viciousMIUI is better than liquid smooth 3.2 (i was going to install liquid first but then i saw vMIUI)? does it run better or are they both almost hte same, just aesthetically different?

(hope this thread doesn't sound uppity and lazy of me, i have been searching threads and forums, haven't found any good answers, figured i'd ask here :) )

Advertisement

2. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Hopefully, Worm will come by and help out with MIUI since he's running it. I loaded it on my Dinc some time ago and didn't like the iphone look but some folks really love it.

Liquid is my go to rom. I always have a backup of 3.2 whenever I get frustrated by what I flash. As for radio I would get the latest which is 906w I believe. Everyone is having success with that.

Kernels come with the rom, don't bother with changing that just yet. Good luck, there is a lot of info out there and sometimes it doesn't jump out at you. That's why we have AF. :) Just ask.

goingdead likes this.
  3. Papadroid

Papadroid Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I believe you can use any AOSP kernel with MIUI. It's not a full ICS rom that requires a special kernel.

goingdead likes this.
  4. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    MMS and 4G icons (displays a G) are still broken, but a fix should come eventually. Other than that it's pretty solid. I'm running ICS 3.0 and have had no issues. Any other questions let me know

5. xeno2011

xeno2011 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    It comes with Imo's 5.1.0 AOSP kernel, you can also try Zoom AOSP kernel (Zoom-Kernel (Thunderbolt-AOSP)), if you so desire. Zoom has had mixed results for those who have tried it, so it's best to just start with a basic flash of the ROM and try Imo's kernel first.

FYI, I am on MIUI ICS 4.0 and with Zoom kernel, and it works well with my phone.

goingdead likes this.
  6. goingdead

goingdead Member
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    thanks to all of you, i really appreciate it :D
    i ended up flashing it and i absolutely looooooooooooove it!
    only problem i have now is finding the perfect theme lol

7. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Banking
    Milwaukee
    The nice thing about the themes, is you can mix and match. I think I had about 4-5 different pieces of various themes running together to get that perfect look.

I would search and download the themes from the browser or xda though. If you use the 'online themes' in the app it takes FOREVER to download.

8. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Themes, huh? Miui?

9. Papadroid

Papadroid Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Have you not tried MIUI lately? MIUI is extremely flexible in the way you theme your phone. Like stated previously you can pick and choose what you want from each theme. For example, I can use the icons from one theme, the status bar from another and the lockscreen from yet another. It is simply amazing how you can go about it with MIUI. Back in my Droid days I hated MIUI because it mainly just looked like the iphone, but now with the options available it is by far the most flexible. I just can't go without MMS.:( So I'm on Liquid 3.2 right now.

10. goingdead

goingdead Member
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    i think the only thing i dislike about miui is the absence of the app drawer and the docked icons...miss the little bottom buttons (idk the proper name, lol) that sense had :(

11. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I'll take another look at the miui thread, see what's going on. I just flashed LGS 2.1 and still playing with that, but the weekend is coming. ;-) <flash time> Also SoAB got a 1.04 update last night which is sense 3.5. Decisions, decisions. WTF is my GN already?