• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help a few questions from a new buyer.

env

Lurker
Feb 4, 2011
hello, after some extent research i have been trolling these forums for a bit, trying to pick up some info about the moment. I'm strictly an iPhone user so when it comes to android i am super lost. If someone can help me with a few questions that would be great.

first off i only purchased this moment to mess around with, it was cheap on ebay so i don't have as my main phone. I plan on switching to android once my contract is up, so figured why not buy a cheap phone now and try and mess around with ti for a bit before i switch in a couple months.

Questions:

1. Why do apps suddenly pop up when i don't even want them running, this mainly happens with, Voice Control, Moxier Mail & Messaging app. It's a bit annoying that they pop up for no reason. When i say pop up i open advance task killer and they are always open for some odd reason.

2. I would like to root the phone, what is the best and latest tutorial that i should follow, is this potentially dangerous? I don't care about custom roms, but i do care about performance and battery life. I just see so many tutorials and such i don't know exactly which path to take here. I am on firmware 1.5, the previous owner never seemed to upgrade her phone, but i will be upgrading to 2.1 soon. If that makes a difference for the root process just throwing it out there.

3. like i said i like stability and battery performance for my phone, and thats mainly it, what advice would you give me to get the most out of my moment?

After you upgrade to 2.1 the Moment will actually be usable. Some of these apps will always remain running and shouldn't be removed. Look here for root instructions and I think the best root guide is here

After rooted find and load the sdx stock app removal tool on sdx forum

I removed apps but only bejeweled demo, weather, football, photo and video places, email, gmail, moxier and im with no ill effects. I kept Sprint nav and tv apps. My moment seems to be more stable with stock kernel than any rom or tweaked kernel.

I replaced all 3 email programs with k9 mail, using zeam launcher and go chat from android market. Other productive market apps are adfree, astro file manager, moment flash. Also keylights from sdx forum.

Have fun with 2.1, 2.2 is currently in beta testing

Upvote 0
After you upgrade to 2.1 the Moment will actually be usable. Some of these apps will always remain running and shouldn't be removed. Look here for root instructions and I think the best root guide is here

After rooted find and load the sdx stock app removal tool on sdx forum

I removed apps but only bejeweled demo, weather, football, photo and video places, email, gmail, moxier and im with no ill effects. I kept Sprint nav and tv apps. My moment seems to be more stable with stock kernel than any rom or tweaked kernel.

I replaced all 3 email programs with k9 mail, using zeam launcher and go chat from android market. Other productive market apps are adfree, astro file manager, moment flash. Also keylights from sdx forum.

Have fun with 2.1, 2.2 is currently in beta testing

thanks for the important info, i should be on 2.1 tonight. When you say 2.2 is in beta testing, you mean official 2.2 from the carrier?

thanks for the suggestions as well, will definitely check them out.

Upvote 0
It will take a few hours to run the update then flash recovery and root and configure things the first tine but once you get the hang it goes pretty quickly. If you do nothing else just flash 2.1 and go from there. The improvement is in leaps and bounds

Nope 2.2 is not from Sprint or samsung they have both ditched the moment. The developers at sdx are porting 2.2 from two similar samsung phones and creating their kernel. It has only been a few weeks and the main buugs are almost gone. I might even run it this weekend sometime if things get boring.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones