1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root A few questions/issues....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ess-E915, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Ess-E915

Ess-E915 Newbie
    None

Mar 9, 2010
    Okay. I've had my Shift for a few months now, and have come across some issues, but never really had the time to sit down and figure out what was going on with it. So, am hoping maybe I can get some advice here.

First off.... I am rooted. I haven't changed anything, except that though, if I'm not mistaken. I only root to be able to use things like wi-fi tethering....not necessarily into all the roms and kernals and stuff. So... I rooted, and left everything as it was. Phone says I'm running Android 2.2 and the kernal says htc-kernal. Doesn't show a rom. So... just wanted to get that out there, so ya know what we're dealing with.

One issue I seem to have is a lot of lag... especially when I'm trying to make a phone call. I will press dial, and then get a black screen.... sometimes for up to like 30 seconds, before it actually dials the number. I get this lag at other times too, but it's mostly when I'm making a call... and that's when it's most annoying.

Also... I can't seem to get the phone to keep any of my settings when I restart it. For instance, every time I reboot the phone, when it comes back on, it asks me to set my default launcher. And, I use the app called Lock Menu, and I have to turn it back on every time I reboot as well. Is this normal?? It's VERY annoying to have to reset things all the time. Btw.... my launcher of choice is GoLauncher, but I've tried setting my default to other launchers, and the same thing happens after reboot. And... I have gone in several times and done the clear default app thing, but that doesn't help anything.

I recently started getting a message every couple of days telling me there is an HTC update. Should I go ahead and install it, or will that mess up my root somehow, or something? lol

Any kind of advice would be appreciated very much. Thanks a lot in advance! :D

Advertisement

2. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    operator
    upstate NY
    Sometimes a launcher will cause the lag and settings to be messed upon reboot... Have you tried uninstalling go launcher and seeing what it does?

As far as the update, DON"T DO IT!!!! You will lose root and there has been no exploit found thus far to root gingerbread. you can flash the update, if you would like to try it, just as you would any other rom.
    Here is a link to a thread with info about the rooted stock update....
    http://androidforums.com/evo-shift-all-things-root/356455-rooted-stock-gb-2-3-rom.html

3. Ess-E915

Ess-E915 Newbie
    None

Mar 9, 2010
    Okay! Thanks a lot for your help! I will try uninstalling GoLauncher and see how that does I guess. And, will flash the 2.3 update as well. Is there a way I can get the HTC update to stop popping up?