1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support A Few Questions That I Can't Find Answers To!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sdalby, Jan 8, 2011.

1. sdalby

sdalby Member
    None

Jan 8, 2011
    Hello Android Forum!

This is my first *true* venture into the world of Android!

My girlfriend has had a Droid since release and I have been fooling around with it A LOT and LOVE just about everything with it. I basically customized her phone to my likings.

I just got the Samsung Epic yesterday and I absolutely love the hardware so far, but a few software things that I haven't been able to find fixes for are bothering me and I would like to know if any of you could help me out!

My biggest complaint so far is how the screen unlocks. The sliding up really bothers me as I am used to sliding right to unlock and left to mute. I liked the look of those slider bars too on the Droid. Is there anyway to get those on the Epic?

Also, the notification bar is quite cluttered with everything on top. The Droid notification bar is just blank and shows nothing but notifications. Is there anyway the Epic can do that as well?

As for other things, I installed the Handcent SMS and Launcher Pro apps and I love both of them. So much better than stock!

Thank you very much!

Advertisement

2. iamyourdemize

iamyourdemize Lurker
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    You can get a paid app called Widget Locker. It allows you to change the slider to a bunch of different styles (sense, iPhone, Droid and so on). It also allows you to place widgets on the lock screen. I think it is worth the couple of dollars.

I'm not sure what you mean by the notification bar being cluttered... What do you all have up there? Are you talking about the signal bars/battery icon/time?

3. sdalby

sdalby Member
    None

Jan 8, 2011
    Whoops I should have been more clear. When you pull the notification bar down it has the 4g/wifi/gps controls there.

Also thanks. I will check out Widget Locker!

4. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Android Expert
    None

Mar 13, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Lol, you don't like those radio buttons? I think it's genius to be honest. But an option to take it off would be nice for those who don't need it...

About the lock screen, have you tried using the pattern lock? I use a simple pattern to make unlocking the phone easier

5. sdalby

sdalby Member
    None

Jan 8, 2011
    I don't like the pattern lock either. Thanks though!

Also there is a widget in LP that does the same thing those radio buttons do an more without taking up the space in the notification bar.

6. Damar1979

Damar1979 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 7, 2010

Im confused. How are those 4 icons taking up space, when they are essentially hidden? They dont show up on your screen unless you actively pull down your notification bar. I think its rather neat, as opposed to sliding to screen number whichever just to access a widgit

7. sdalby

sdalby Member
    None

Jan 8, 2011
    It takes up space in the notification bar. I would like to be able to see all of my notifications at a glance without havin to scroll through because of those icons.

8. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Fair enough. :)

Unfortunately, I don' know of a way to remove them. Even when reverting to the stock launcher the quick buttons remain.

You may be able to remove them by installing a custom ROM after rooting (and thus technically voiding your warranty and ...). I haven't looked into it too much though so I'm not 100% certain that this will remove it either.